Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Newb's 1st oil change...

Did my first complete oil change yesterday on my 2001 Box. Kept on adding oil up to the dash guage fill line. This morning before starting it showed one bar above full.Grrrr.... The dipstick showed full. Am I correct in saying that I should drain some oil out? After running for a short period this morning it shows on the fill line.Any comments would be appreciated!

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

Recycle, I had my car serviced on Monday, 9 qts. Stopped for lunch on my way home and noticed the level gage going a little crazy ????? Got home and washed the car to give the oil time to level out and was 3/4 quart low. Added and now All is reading correct. This is my second oil change and once again weird readings until the oil leveled out with time ????? I know that I have not given you the answer but share your concerns. Max
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
Recycle, I had my car serviced on Monday, 9 qts. Stopped for lunch on my way home and noticed the level gage going a little crazy ????? Got home and washed the car to give the oil time to level out and was 3/4 quart low. Added and now All is reading correct. This is my second oil change and once again weird readings until the oil leveled out with time ????? I know that I have not given you the answer but share your concerns. Max
Thanks Millimax. Yes I put almost 9 litres in so u could well be right -the dash guage maybe has to settle down first. If u put in 9 qts and I put in 9 litres(1 litre is slightly less than a quart), I might be okay. Will give it time to settle.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #4

Garage
Personally I trust the actual dipstick, I use the sensor to keep track rather than as an accurate level gauge.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

If it is just up to full on the dipstick, you are fine. Remember, the manual says to check the oil after the car is fully warm, that means driving for 1/2 hour plus. Then, let the car sit for several minutes before checking the level.

You will get low levels if you start that car and shut it off before it is warm and then immediately check the oil level.

Similarly, if you let the car sit overnight after it was shut down while fully warmed up, when you check the oil in the morning it will show overfilled.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad34 View Post
Personally I trust the actual dipstick, I use the sensor to keep track rather than as an accurate level gauge.
I trust the dipstick also. And I have had both reading the same together AFTER getting home and playing around with the level/ giving it some time to settle down after that "bad visit to the vet/ mechanic" The car seem to act just like my cat back from the vet. After a few hours home ,things go back to normal. ????????
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yup trust the dipstick. The sensor is good most of time but I always refer to the dipstick when changing on my 2000 'S'. If you only put in 9 liters then you are fine...you might even be a little low but not enough to hurt.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote