Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Registered User
 
supersparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 110
OBC Upgrade: 2001 Boxster - Not completely successful

After getting a great deal on all of the stuff needed for this project I decided to go ahead and do it. I started early in the day, and took my time as to not damage or miss anything. After a through and methodical several hours, I reconnected the battery only to find less than satisfactory results:

*The check oil graphic comes on and blinks until you press the OBC stalk, then it changes to "000 miles".

*The fuel gauge reads "0" and the "reserve" light is on.

*Turn signals are not displayed on the instrument cluster, and there is the absence of a "clicking" sound when actuated.

*The "low washer fluid" light is on. (washer fluid is not low)

Has anybody had a similar experience?
ANY help is greatly appreciated..


Last edited by supersparker; 09-06-2012 at 05:26 PM.
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Registered User
 
ppbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 529
It sounds like ....

... you probably have a couple of wires crossed.
Go through the instructions and follow each one of the new wires you added to make sure they are connected properly.
I've done a few dozen conversions and once saw something similar when I crossed two wires.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is: Racecar!
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Registered User
 
supersparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 110
Thanks P,

You're probably right. I'll double check my wires tonight.
BTW: I was able to get Moorespeed here in Austin to enable the OBC function...Good shop!
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Registered User
 
supersparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersparker View Post
Thanks P,

You're probably right. I'll double check my wires tonight.
BTW: I was able to get Moorespeed here in Austin to enable the OBC function...Good shop!
Pulled everything apart and double checked the wires and they are 100% correct as per the DIY.....

I am at a loss at this point........................
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Registered User
 
supersparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersparker View Post
Pulled everything apart and double checked the wires and they are 100% correct as per the DIY.....

I am at a loss at this point........................
Is there more that needs to be done on the PIWIS programing?
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 319
Garage
The OBC is either ON or OFF. you still have a wire or two crossed. I did mine a few months ago & it came right up. I turned it on with Durametric. sit back & re-trace your steps.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
The OBC is either ON or OFF. you still have a wire or two crossed. I did mine a few months ago & it came right up. I turned it on with Durametric. sit back & re-trace your steps.
You can use Durametric to turn it on?
What model year is your Boxster and which version of Durametric did you use?

I have 2001 base.
I have been meaning to do this for a long time.

Thank you.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 319
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
You can use Durametric to turn it on?
What model year is your Boxster and which version of Durametric did you use?

I have 2001 base.
I have been meaning to do this for a long time.

Thank you.
Mike,
I have Durametric v6. I have a MY01. worked perfect. I used 2 dash switches rather than the 4 stalk setup. I got everything from Sunset in Oregon. Follow the DIY to the letter & you will get it right, it took me about 2 hours because I soldered the wires & heat shrunk them into a harness. I hope this helps.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
Mike,
I have Durametric v6. I have a MY01. worked perfect. I used 2 dash switches rather than the 4 stalk setup. I got everything from Sunset in Oregon. Follow the DIY to the letter & you will get it right, it took me about 2 hours because I soldered the wires & heat shrunk them into a harness. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the prompt reply Bryan.

Which flavor or Durametric do you have? Do you have the professional version?
I ask because I just the following from their web site.
***************************************
2.The Coding and Command Console features:
Beginning with Durametric version 6, Durametric supports the Coding and Command Console features. These features are included with the Professional kits only.
The Coding feature provides for the ability to enable or disable predefined features in the car such as airbags, daytime running lights, cruise control, and the rear spoiler where applicable.
The Command Console feature is a means of communicating with the control units using very low-level communications. This feature is very seldom used.
***************************************

Also, did you have the chance to see if the outside temperature displayed when you turned on the OBC using Durametric before installing the switches? I've read that if you don't have the switches, the outside temperature is all you get. Is that true?
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Registered User
 
supersparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 110
<Resolved>

one of the 3 modex style connectors on the back of the instrument cluster was not fully seated even though the black "cam lock" mechanism was in the "locked position"

After reseating these 3 connectors numerous times, I removed the "cam lock" from the suspect connector pushed it in and it worked..
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersparker View Post
one of the 3 modex style connectors on the back of the instrument cluster was not fully seated even though the black "cam lock" mechanism was in the "locked position"

After reseating these 3 connectors numerous times, I removed the "cam lock" from the suspect connector pushed it in and it worked..
Wow.
Congrats.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Registered User
 
supersparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 110
While I was troubleshooting this issue last night the hot water heater located just in front of me ruptured, flooding my work space with about 1/2" of water...
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 319
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply Bryan.

Which flavor or Durametric do you have? Do you have the professional version?
I ask because I just the following from their web site.
***************************************
2.The Coding and Command Console features:
Beginning with Durametric version 6, Durametric supports the Coding and Command Console features. These features are included with the Professional kits only.
The Coding feature provides for the ability to enable or disable predefined features in the car such as airbags, daytime running lights, cruise control, and the rear spoiler where applicable.
The Command Console feature is a means of communicating with the control units using very low-level communications. This feature is very seldom used.
***************************************

Also, did you have the chance to see if the outside temperature displayed when you turned on the OBC using Durametric before installing the switches? I've read that if you don't have the switches, the outside temperature is all you get. Is that true?
I have the enthusiast version, but on MY01 & later the switches need to be installed even to see the temp readout. I turned mine on & discovered this, when I installed the switches about a month later it worked perfectly.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 319
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersparker View Post
one of the 3 modex style connectors on the back of the instrument cluster was not fully seated even though the black "cam lock" mechanism was in the "locked position"

After reseating these 3 connectors numerous times, I removed the "cam lock" from the suspect connector pushed it in and it worked..
Glad you got it sorted out! http://www.986forum.com/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
Registered User
 
supersparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
^Thanks!

Just when I thought it could not get any worse... the hot water heater ruptured about 4 feet from me, flooding the area in which I was working

Putting in a new unit this afternoon.....
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
I have the enthusiast version, but on MY01 & later the switches need to be installed even to see the temp readout. I turned mine on & discovered this, when I installed the switches about a month later it worked perfectly.
Thanks Bryan.
I am a bit puzzled as the way I'm reading the description, the enthusiast version will only "read" and can't change the settings. I am going to call them now to clarify.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersparker View Post
^Thanks!

Just when I thought it could not get any worse... the hot water heater ruptured about 4 feet from me, flooding the area in which I was working

Putting in a new unit this afternoon.....
That reminds me, I need to change MY 1999 water heater before it starts to leak.
Good luck with your repair.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page