Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Kaili <3

Garage
Radio upgrade question

I have been poking around the internet for new decks for my car. I saw the cool DIY post here about the chinese unit, looked alright, but I was wondering about one of these JVC - 50W x 4 MOSFET AppleŽ iPodŽ-/Satellite Radio-Ready In-Dash DVD Deck - KWAV60BT

What do I need to install it and will it work with my car? I have the Bose upgrade system and I'm dying for my XM or pandora. I hate the radio haha shame to waste such good speakers on FM.

I wasn't looking to buy today, but just to get some information so I might be able to get one at Christmas or something. I got this car for my birthday so a present well spent I turn 25 in 4 days hehe. (Oh I paid for the car myself, it was a self present, just thought I'd clear that up before someone thinks I'm a free loader lol)

shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 View Post
I have been poking around the internet for new decks for my car. I saw the cool DIY post here about the chinese unit, looked alright, but I was wondering about one of these JVC - 50W x 4 MOSFET AppleŽ iPodŽ-/Satellite Radio-Ready In-Dash DVD Deck - KWAV60BT

What do I need to install it and will it work with my car? I have the Bose upgrade system and I'm dying for my XM or pandora. I hate the radio haha shame to waste such good speakers on FM.

I wasn't looking to buy today, but just to get some information so I might be able to get one at Christmas or something. I got this car for my birthday so a present well spent I turn 25 in 4 days hehe. (Oh I paid for the car myself, it was a self present, just thought I'd clear that up before someone thinks I'm a free loader lol)
The spec's on that stereo is a Double DIN unit (2 DIN)
It will work with some dash modifications described in the Dual DIN post in the DIY section. Dual DIN 7" Touch screen radio install

I would highly recommend the install kit for 2 DIN on ebay. It's pricey but eases the installation with the wiring connectors for the Boxster.
It also includes the key tab thing's to remove the old radio, and a nice filler plastic bracket to fill the open of the stereo.

Just be ready to loose both DIN's on top of your dash.
Sacrificing the cup holders was no biggy for me..lol

You will have to cut a small plastic cross piece between the two DIN's but real easy stuff..

T
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Kaili <3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
The spec's on that stereo is a Double DIN unit (2 DIN)
It will work with some dash modifications described in the Dual DIN post in the DIY section. Dual DIN 7" Touch screen radio install

I would highly recommend the install kit for 2 DIN on ebay. It's pricey but eases the installation with the wiring connectors for the Boxster.
It also includes the key tab thing's to remove the old radio, and a nice filler plastic bracket to fill the open of the stereo.

Just be ready to loose both DIN's on top of your dash.
Sacrificing the cup holders was no biggy for me..lol

You will have to cut a small plastic cross piece between the two DIN's but real easy stuff..

T
Thanks for the info. I t don't think I'll lose cup holders unless those are some how tied to the Din. I have an 03 the are near the vent above the din area. Correct me if I am wrong, I like having cup holders
Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I t don't think I'll lose cup holders unless those are some how tied to the Din. I have an 03 the are near the vent above the din area. Correct me if I am wrong, I like having cup holders
My bad, you didn't specify the year of your car..
Is this what your dash looks like..?
If so, you would have to relocate you a/c controls to the very lower slot to allow for the 2 DIN install..

Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Kaili <3

Garage
Yup that looks like mine. Yeah I figured I'd need to move the AC.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #6

Quote:

You will need the dual din mount ($165), or create your own like I did ($10 & 90min) on the Dual Din install link.

For around $250-450 you should be able to get all the bells and whistles, ie Navigation, Rear backup video, DVD video, SD, USB, Blue tooth music and phone inputs etc.

Seems like that JVC unit is rather limited for the price?

I think your cup holder can stay but do you really want drinks splashing around above your new stero?

Yup AC goes all the way to the bottom slot very easily but you need the platic tapered surround for it in that slot,

Since I had the EQ panel in that slot i used the surround for it.

If you have the EQ upgrade stereo you can not remove the EQ. I simply preset it and put it in behind the sorage shelf slot, see the description in that dual din install thread.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
My bad, you didn't specify the year of your car..
Is this what your dash looks like..?
If so, you would have to relocate you a/c controls to the very lower slot to allow for the 2 DIN install..

What is the part number for the storage bin at the bottom with the curved faceplate, right above the shifter?
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
996.552.253.01.01C - Upper storage tray (no curves square)
996.552-243.01.01C- Lower storage tray (curves)
I have the 996.552-243.01.01C- Lower storage tray (curves) for sale. See link
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/36892-fs-cd-tray-cup-holder-lower-dash-storage-box.html

Last edited by tony_fury; 08-20-2012 at 09:12 PM.
tony_fury is offline   Reply With Quote