Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
This is true with EVERY cross-manufacture engine conversion. Physically mounting the engine is the easiest part. Making it function seamlessly is what takes most of the time and money. I always tell people that engine conversions should only be considered by people who intend to keep their car for the long term. Otherwise, the return on the financial investment will never be seen.

As far as an V8 in a Boxster, I think it is going to be a hard sell (for a few reasons), especially when it requires a 6 speed conversion (even more money invested). I think if you are making a conversion kit that can not easily be installed into the early 2.5 cars, you are seriously limiting your market considering those are the most affordable, and most likely cars to be used for conversions.
Kcpaz, wise words.
You have already walked down the cross platform conversion path so you know first hand that it is a LOT more complicated than it looks. 1000 little details that make you nuts. It is doable though and I expect Scott will be ready by the end of the year on this.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
Certified Boxster Addict

I would worry about the Boxster S transmission handling 450hp+ on a long term basis. A better choice would be a 996 Turbo transmission. Hey, no one said this was going to be easy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I would worry about the Boxster S transmission handling 450hp+ on a long term basis. A better choice would be a 996 Turbo transmission. Hey, no one said this was going to be easy.
But you have to ask yourself, why on earth do you need a Boxster that makes more than 450hp? These cars are not meant for drag racing. I can tell you from experience that 400 whp through a Boxster S G86/20 transaxle is very reliable and I will be raising the power soon to see what it can take.

The biggest problem I have with the V8 idea is the low end torque. THIS is what will kill the transaxle more than horsepower. That and driving style... which I think goes hand-in-hand with people who want V8's in their light weight, mid-engine Porsches (broad generalization I know)

I've already proved that the Subaru combination is reliable on a track car, and we are currently working on two street car conversions to prove that the concept works with all of the creature comforts like A/C, a full interior, mechanical power steering, and an air/water intercooler set-up that doesn't require the ridiculous roof scoop.

Last edited by kcpaz; 08-08-2012 at 03:28 PM.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #24
Ex Esso kid

I have to laugh Kpaz, you ask him why he needs that kind of rear wheel HP then go onto to say you plan on putting more than 400 on your own car.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #25

I noticed that also!

I think the desire for big power is one of those areas where " if you have to ask, you'll never understand".
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #26

LS7 V8 Boxster 1st Test Drive - YouTube
lsseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #27

LS V8 Boxster Conversion From Renegade Hybrids! - YouTube
lsseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
That's cause American cars are built for the straights. That would never happen in a GT-R
Time to get out of the 90s.....
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Time to get out of the 90s.....
Indeed. I've actually taken a ride with Scott in this very car. It's got the LS-2 making about 400 hp. Well short of what you can do with an LS-7. Believe me, it was AMAZING! If I wasn't in CA, i'd be doing this in a heartbeat. It's about $5k for the complete conversion kit plus whatever LS crate motor you want to put in there (figure a nice LS-3 making 485 HP is about $15k).

You get all the benefits of a beautifully handling car, with the power to make it competitive at a very high level on track days. The weight difference is nominal, so it's like just adding pure power to your Boxster S.

Here is the latest video, btw:

Renegade V8 Boxster S Review - YouTube
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #30

I know this is an OLD thread, but any updates or additional info ?
I asked Scott @ Renegade about a 987 kit, and while he said it should work, has anybody done a 987 ?
I am basing my purchase of a Boxster on this LS swap, I prefer the 987, but ???
RichInCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 AM   #31

Hi RichInCanada,

no detailed infos about a 987 Renegade v8 conversion, but i would recommend this thread about a 986 Renegade v8 conversion: BoxsterLS376 introduction - LS3 conversion :)

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi RichInCanada,

no detailed infos about a 987 Renegade v8 conversion, but i would recommend this thread about a 986 Renegade v8 conversion: BoxsterLS376 introduction - LS3 conversion :)

Regards, Markus
Thanks man, informative read, sounds like he'd be the guy to do it !
Just wonder if a 987 is do-able, maybe I'll PM him...

RichInCanada is offline   Reply With Quote