Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #1

Garage
spec clutch stage 2 + LWFW

I have installed the parts and for some reason am hearing a rattling sound from underneath right behind the muffler, any explanation to be shared?

Hadydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Does it rattle more in neutral with the clutch out than in gear with the clutch in? If so, this is a pretty normal situation...LWFWs make a lot of racket.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

With the car stopped and at idle, you'll hear rattling from under the engine. Then simply push in the clutch. If the rattle is greatly diminished or gone, then what you're hearing are engine vibrations coming through the gearbox.

The LWFW does not fully dampen the engine/drive train vibrations as well as the dual mass fly wheel. Thus, now you hear drive train rattling. Completely normal for a Boxster Spec clutch and aluminum LWFW. Mine does exactly the same.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #4

I havent ever installed a lightweight flywheel in a car and not had a rattle like you describe, its totally normal. It also will take a few takeoffs in first gear to get the hang of it, its different
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
With the car stopped and at idle, you'll hear rattling from under the engine. Then simply push in the cheap Clutches. If the rattle is greatly diminished or gone, then what you're hearing are engine vibrations coming through the gearbox.

The LWFW does not fully dampen the engine/drive train vibrations as well as the dual mass fly wheel. Thus, now you hear drive train rattling. Completely normal for a Boxster Spec clutch and aluminum LWFW. Mine does exactly the same.
^ True. I do agree that it's normal. But just to pry, the rattling sound is the normal rattling sound right? Not any excessive sound, yeah?

Last edited by kotto; 07-29-2012 at 04:06 AM.
kotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Garage
I have asked the person i bought the items from and he confirmed this is normal. when i pressure the clutch pedal the sound completely disappears and i have also asked around here and its normal apparently.
Hadydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

LWFW chattering

is the noise only when the vehicle is stopped and not in gear?
How about when the car is moving and with the transmission in a gear, if you back off on the throttle such that the transmission rotation (via the tire) matches the engine speed, do you hear the noise?

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote