Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #1

just lubed top

Just lubed ALL moving parts and slides on my top this AM. Now the top moves up and down with no motor RPM change or stress. The top and motor are now operating like butter. Had to move top to various positions to get to ALL moving parts. The top motor always seemed to stress a little on the way up and down but that is now gone. Glad I did this after reading all the posts about top failures.

milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Sounds like a great idea. What type of lube did you use? Just wondering if its something that I already have like WD-40 or silicone spray?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Carnut

Inspired and copied.... I simply used a super small amount of WD40, works nicely.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

I'm inspired as well. Today is the perfect day for it.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

What areas are you spraying? Any chance of pics? Haven't really looked to see what's moving as I adjust top while sitting in the car heh...
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
What areas are you spraying? Any chance of pics? Haven't really looked to see what's moving as I adjust top while sitting in the car heh...
As you begin to open the top....stop and look. Then press the down button for a second and stop to take another look....
THINGS CHANGE EVERY SECOND of the downward motion. Meaning that the robotics of the top are in motion and changing directions exposing all mechanical linkage connections at different times. (Don't be alarmed!!!) Just take your time and "lightly spray" the ball joints, bearings, side slides, etc, including the hard cover. OK.... once again and case closed as I know most of you are sick and tired of me "cheer leading" the lube in a can called " Fluid Film". I have been using this for ........25 years or so ??? Also ..I am not a tech guy with photos. I wish I was........younger with kids so you could have photos. Happy Father's Day to all of you . OH, and WD 40 dries up quickly.....so you buy more !!!! Brilliant Idea !!! "So they buy more" !!! AND MORE, MORE....................?

Last edited by milliemax; 06-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

Where can you buy "Fluid Film"?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #8

Chief, I started buying "Fluid Film" at a farm implement dealer in Selbyville, DE by the name of " "Selbyville Ford Tractor". Then moved to North Carolina and found a place in Morehead City by the name of " Ace Marine". A truly commercial marine company that sells dock equipment to shipping ports around the world. BUT..... I am convinced that you can find " Fluid film" on line AND at your local AG dealer or your local commercial auto parts store like NAPA ? I am sure they can order for you . Good luck on your first experience with it as you will be amazed and forever be keeping this product close to you at all times. (Danger..No coment, please) And if by chance any of you try this product....come back to this post and tell us how YOU like it. I ....am tired of trying.

Last edited by milliemax; 06-17-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
As you begin to open the top....stop and look. Then press the down button for a second and stop to take another look....
THINGS CHANGE EVERY SECOND of the downward motion. Meaning that the robotics of the top are in motion and changing directions exposing all mechanical linkage connections at different times. (Don't be alarmed!!!) Just take your time and "lightly spray" the ball joints, bearings, side slides, etc, including the hard cover. OK.... once again and case closed as I know most of you are sick and tired of me "cheer leading" the lube in a can called " Fluid Film". I have been using this for ........25 years or so ??? Also ..I am not a tech guy with photos. I wish I was........younger with kids so you could have photos. Happy Father's Day to all of you . OH, and WD 40 dries up quickly.....so you buy more !!!! Brilliant Idea !!! "So they buy more" !!! AND MORE, MORE....................?

Milliemax,

That's got to be the most confusing post you've ever made... Not just in sentence structure, but thought structure.

I need to lube my top too. I always say, "okay, NEXT weekend." But then the weekend comes, and I just either forget, or get lazy.

You want to head up to Chesapeake on July 14th or the local Porsche club breakfast?

Last edited by bar10dah; 06-17-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added Milliemax's quote since there was a post after the one I was referring to
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
Milliemax,

That's got to be the most confusing post you've ever made... Not just in sentence structure, but thought structure.

I need to lube my top too. I always say, "okay, NEXT weekend." But then the weekend comes, and I just either forget, or get lazy.
BAR10DAR ???? Please.......You I have to tell ???? Just drink 3 martinis like I just did and you will understand what I said. ( no harm intended)
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
Milliemax,

You want to head up to Chesapeake on July 14th or the local Porsche club breakfast?
Chesapeake....VA...Bay...City,Md.....? Yes I would like to and see if John 99 boxter who live 2 hrs south would like to go also !!!!! Yea Damn Right !!!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #12

Ha! Milliemax, you make me laugh...

Read this when you're sober. Or, at least, only reply when you're sober.

Chesapeake, VA. Not far up the road from you. I'd like to go to this:

Quote:
The Eastern Area “Porsches & Pancakes” Breakfast is scheduled every second Saturday at 9 AM at Pop’s Diner located at 1432 Greenbrier Pkwy in Chesapeake, VA. It’s located across from the Greenbrier Mall. Just take I-64 exit 289B onto Greenbrier Pkwy.
And thought since you're so close, you'd want to go too! And, whoever else is around southeast VA. John99Boxster should come too, whether he sells the car or not.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Looks like Fluid Film is available mostly froim farming, lawn and heavy equipment stores/distributors. Unless you want to order online (Amazon.com or others), us city folk might have to use good ol' WD-40.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #14

Located some but it's like 45 miles away. maybe of I happen to get out some i'll pick some up.