Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
DIY extremist

Really hard clutch and hard shifting after 3 weeks in body shop

Just got my car back after 3 weeks in paint. It looks great, but.... now it's really hard to drive! The clutch action seems really really hard, and it's difficult to change gears. The car has alway been pretty notchy, but now it's almost undriveable.

Earlier this year, the sleeve on the trans side of the shift cable slipped downwards and caused the cable to bind. I pushed the sleeve back up, tightened and lubed the shifter side, and it seemed a lot better.

The clutch was replaced at same time as 6 speed trans was rebuilt, about 25k miles ago by previous owner. There is a B&M type shifter installed - but I've that for a year with no problems.

I have not changed transaxle fluid or bled clutch, although I am willing to try those to fix problem. I'm a bit apprehensive about shifter cable - looks like a real pain to swap that - would rather try adjusting first.

I am planning to do my first autocross in a week.
Please help!

Thanks guys!

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
DIY extremist

Anyone dealt with this before? C'mon guys -- my car is barely driveable.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

Sounds like.........someone from the shop drove it. And had a good time with your car. Just my thought on this. Did you check miles ?
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #4

My clutch was very stiff... When they got it open the dealer said it was roasted. New clutch all good. Sounds like maybe time to replace yours tho odd between body service... Unless previous poster is right...
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
DIY extremist

No, I didn't think to set the trip odometer before leaving it at the shop. I wouldn't think my old 986 would be the target of their affections though.... there were a 997 and and AMG Benz in the shop at the same time. It COULD be just that I got used to the brand new clutch in my Mini Cooper S that I bought at the same time as this car went in for paint. Another weird thing... the leather on the shifter knob seemed to be abraded on it's passenger side. It was worn from use before, but I don't remember this. Either way there's no recourse, as I already picked up the car and told my insurance co that the work looked good.

Can the durametric software report redlines, along with the date and time they occurred?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #6

Durametric will give you the number of over-rev ignitions and the hour they occurred. You can estimate the date it happened by subtracting the hours of the last over-rev from the total hours on the motor.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Durametric will give you the number of over-rev ignitions and the hour they occurred. You can estimate the date it happened by subtracting the hours of the last over-rev from the total hours on the motor.
AND A "Come to Jesus" meeting with the shop owner , employees and insurance rep.

milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote