Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #1

Valve Cover

I was told that there are numerous gaskets when replacing the valve cover gaskets. Is this true and how difficult a job is it? 2000 S

gweers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

As far as I know, the valve cover doesn't have any gaskets. It uses a Loctite #5900 type sealant.
Removing the cover is not easy, as it forms part of the camshaft bearing assembly - the upper bearing face is part of the cover itself.
Engine removal is probably the way to go as it is easier than trying to remove the cover in situ, but somebody with greater experience than me (JFPinPA, ByProdriver, Feelyx et al) can chime in......
Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #3

I had posted an earlier thread about an burning oil smell and just took my car into a shop to have it looked at. I was told by them that it was my valve cover leaking and it took 11 gaskets to replace it. If what you are telling me is true I my want to get my car from them before they really mess it up.
gweers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Note that other componant that leaks oil onto the headers are the spark plug tube seals - each tube (6 off) has 2 rubber O ring seals (12 off) which often leak after a few years use. They can be changed out easily and the seals only cost a few $$$ to replace....
Maybe these are what the shop tech is alluding to.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Spark plug tube o-ring replacemnt (2 per tube x 6 tubes = 12 total) is an easy DIY fix.

The valve covers themselves are sealed using Loctite as previously mentioned (there is no actual gasket). This can be done with the engine still in the car but its a big job and a PITA. Most owners just live with the leak as long as its minor.

This instruction will give you an idea of what is required (realizing that all you'll need to do is remove and re-seal the cam covers): http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner.htm
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

Garage
I don't know what year your car is but with:

6 O-rings for the spark plug tubes per side = $ resonable

3 camshaft plugs per side = $$ expensive

1 VarioCam solenoid seal per side = $ resonable

1 tube of sealant for the Cam cover (valve cover) = $ resonable
__
11 "Gaskets" required to reseal a CamCover assuming it's a 97-2002 Boxster

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote