Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 03:33 AM   #1

New Tires

I am looking for a shop to mount new tires for my 2001 Boxster S. My stock Michelins have 20,000 miles on them and have pleanty of tread left. I have not purchased tires yet. I just plugged a hole in a front tire and I understand that that ends the speed rating. I live in Bryn Mawr, PA. and have a Porsche dealer nearby. Should I have them do the work or should I look for a local shop with Porsche experience. If so I need recomendations.
I have not purchased tires yet so I'm open to recomendations for those as well. I have combined city and highway driving. No track driving. Ride comfort would be nice as long as I can push it every now and then.

JL Audio 300/2 Amp
a/d/s Speakers
GIAC Upgrade
Dons986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:54 AM   #2

I cannot recommend a tire, as I just recently purchased my 2002 Boxster S, from Don Rosen Porsche near you. As for where to purchase the tires, I heartily recommend
Tire Rack. As for where to mount them, they have a qualified installer program. The qualified installers are supposedly reviewed and approved by Tire Rack. Personally, I can Recommend I. Service in Cherry Hill, NJ. Its only about 6 miles from Philly, speciallizes in German, Italian, Japanese and Swedish high line car repair and is very competent. I have used them when I bought tires for my NSX and RX-7 previously (through the Tire Rack). Besides, just going there you get to wander through any number of Porsches, Ferraris and other exotics in for service. Good luck on your purchase!
9000RPMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #3

I use Tire Rack all the time. Very good prices.

The key is a good installer. I have one but I agree that the Installers program with TR is a good start.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #4

Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to Tire Rack
JL Audio 300/2 Amp
a/d/s Speakers
GIAC Upgrade
Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #5

Exclamation Not so fast amigo

Go to your dealer and get the pamphlet for the Porsche approved tires. Once you see which tires are approved for your car then you can rush to Tire Track. Suggestion is to have your dealer install them for you. I went through an experience with the tires that made me realize of my stupidity in order to save time. Porsche has the right equipment to balance your tires, the right lead weights etc. Their engineers pick these tires for optimal performance for the car.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #6

I have to agree with Pilot. There a many things you can outsource or do yourself, but in my opinion, if it is very important to the car have the dealer do it.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the thoughtful opinions. I like the idea of checking with the Porsche dealer before I make a purchase.

JL Audio 300/2 Amp
a/d/s Speakers
GIAC Upgrade