Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 09:13 AM   #1

Considering Litronic Headlight Upgrade

Love my new 2002 Boxster S. Would love it more if it had Xenon’s. Does anyone have tips on procurement and installation of same?? The local dealer would like to separate me from about $1,800.00 of my money for a new set........sans labor.... Kinda pricy, but then again everything Porsche is kinda pricy......Online stores seem to sell "OEM" kits for $1,500.00.... still kinda pricy....I read Porsche technical bulletin that states that if you install the kit as a retrofit the headlights will not auto adjust. I had thre pleasure of driving a BMW M5 for a couple of years. It had auto adjusting Xenons. You could see them spring to life when you first turned on the headlamps at night. The beams would self adjust depending on how close you were to the car in front of you so as not to blast his\her rear view mirror. great feature. Will Boxsters do this even if the Litronics are installed at the factory or is Porsche referring to some other form of self adjustment?

Thanks for replies.

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #2

Brandywine Porsche in PA aways seems to have Litronics for sale on eBay (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbrandywineporsche). Expect to pay around $1200 shipped. Don't pay more than that for Litronics.

To have them installed, the dealers around here quote me about $500-600. You can install them yourself in 5 minutes if you don't need the leveling stuff. And it is to my understanding that the retrofit kit doesn't technically level the lights... it just repositions the beam when your brights are on.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 09-05-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #3

You should check with Sunset Imports in Oregon as well. I have no idea how low their price will be compared to Brandywine, but hey, they might be cheaper. It's worth a phone call...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #4

Porsches with the Litronic option are self-leveling, but if you buy aftermarket they are fixed from what I hear.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #5

Thanks to all. I will check out these sources. I am in the process of gathering cash. Litronic is high on the list of my projects. I will post the results.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #6

i copped my litronics for 600.00 a while back back then there was a theft problem going on because so easy to take so i recommend when mounting these you also put some sort of strap on the inside to lock them in.of course that wont prevent them from triing to take them but they will be un successful. i beleive i used a 5mm socket insted of the tool that comes with the car.very simple install just open hood take out plugs on left and right side behind carpet put in ssocket tool and turn counterclock i beleive this unlocks your lights pull them out then just slide replacements in they will plug right up into your factory socket. you will only need to get the wire kit if you want auto level for high beam ibeleive i didnt even use that but the lights are cool blue very nice.
TO2IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #7

Mr.B,
I've done allot of mods since I bought my BoxsterS and the Litronics are by far the most disappointing. If were to do it again I'd put the cash towards wheels or skirting or stereo before going with Litronics. They're a nice finishing touch but won't transform your car like GT3 seats or 5 spoke Carreras.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #8

Thanks to all. My new used 2002 Boxster S came equipped with Techart Formula wheels ( I probably never would have dropped the $3600.00 or so the former owner paid for them, but since they were on there, I want not for a wheel upgrade). I'm 47 years old and my eyes are a bit toasted from staring at electrical blueprints and a computer screen for a living for the last 28 years, so at night, I really appreciate the extra safety provided by Xenons. The road just lights right up and I think its cool.... I am still trying to figure out how to do it without unloading too much cash…
Old 09-07-2005, 06:53 AM   #9

OK, I checked with Sunset and they said they'd sell litronics to me for $1200 plus shipping and handling. I was hoping they'd be a lot cheaper than Brandywine's sale prices, but alas, they are not.

I will be buying them eventually, but no time soon. I must begin to stockpile cash for repairs and maintenance before I do any enhancements on the car.

When I do buy them, I'm not going to buy used ones off Ebay... prices are too high and if one of those bulbs blows prematurely or because it's been used a lot, it's gonna be expensive... far more expensive than a standard halogen bulb. Do factor that into the cost of ownership of these new headlamps.

Does anyone know what the replacement cost on a litronic bulb is, by the way?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #10

I was lucky enough to score a set from my local dealer when the new 911 showing was going on. I got them for $900.00 because they had been sitting around for awhile. I did wire them in so that the low beams swivel up when the high beams are on. These babys really light up the road, in fact if the road signs are fairly new the reflection is really bright. I do recommend installing the wiring kit that comes with them, it is really easy. I did just splice in the wire though since I did not have the tool to remove the pin. It is not rocket science, just geting power to the control is all.

It may be worth checking with dealers to see if they have a set around because I think most new ones are ordered with them and the upgrade urgency is going out so they may be motivated to move their old inventory.

Roger
Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #11

Westwood, You got a great deal. I am going to keep shopping for a while as I too have some other little things that I need to do to the car first like having the ding in the front fender the former owner put in it on the day I took ownership of it fixed, having the curb marks he put in ALL FOUR Techart formula wheels repaired(how does a guy Grrrr ALL FOUR wheels?) and having the dealer replace the oxidizing front windscreen trim under warantee...... After that, it will either be the clutch job or the Litronics..... I have not decided yet as the clutch seems fine to me, but the stealer (I meant dealer) recommendeded a new one ...... car only has 30K on it.......Hmmmmmm.........

RandallNeighbour, Thanks for the research man. We have all got to band together in a concerted effort to not get ripped off for OEM parts and the like. I mean, I don't mind paying a premium for those things Porsche, but I don't want to pay a premium, premium, ya know?