Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #1

Check Out My Waterpump

look how out of center it is!! not to mention how much impeller is left!!

dewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #2

What were the symptoms?
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
What were the symptoms?
lots of noise and running hotter. Not really surprised that it ran hotter as it was, must not been pushing much coolant..lol

Last edited by dewolf; 05-04-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #4

You planning on trying to find all those little missing pieces of impeller blade? If so, good luck to you---tell us how it works out...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
You planning on trying to find all those little missing pieces of impeller blade? If so, good luck to you---tell us how it works out...
errr....no. Probably sitting at the bottom of one the of the radiators.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #6

More likely the debris bits are lodged in the small coolant passages in the heads; you will be the first to know.........
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #7

Or worst case sitting clogging one of the smaller water passages somewhere. Just replacing the pump may not be enough...monitor the temps and the rough running and any CELs carefully for a while and flush the system as best you can. Maybe try and dump the radiators.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #8

Jeeez going to do a water pump soon and hope not to find this!

What is the mileage on this pump?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #9

I would take off the radiator hoses and reverse flush the motor and then reverse flush the radiators. Good luck.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #10

Just crazy have we found any safe metal impeller water pumps yet?

There is shop I know which installs a lot of HEPU pumps from Germany. I am not sure of the exact metal used in the impeller...looks very brass like
Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
I would take off the radiator hoses and reverse flush the motor and then reverse flush the radiators. Good luck.
Don't let me discourage you---I think it's worth a try. But I tried, I really did. I back-flushed, front-flushed, you name it...disconnected hoses in various locations, everything, using a fine-mesh material to screen every milliliter of coolant/water that came out. I was missing much less impeller blade material than you (maybe a 1/4 of what you lost), but I never found a single solitary piece of it. Not to say lost pieces won't be a problem---I think potentially they can---but so far so good: It's been about 2400 miles and I've not had a problem.

I asked one of the techs at a local place that does a LOT of P-car work (Steinels) about this. He said the first time or two they had it happen, they flushed like crazy, and had no better luck than I. According to him, those owners never had a problem subsequently. He said they don't even bother to flush 'em anymore. FWIW.

Still, it's worth trying: If you get anything out, it's one less piece to worry about.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #12

Garage
So, what's the effort involved in removing a pump so it can be evaluated for wear? I'm wondering of this should be a maintenance activity-- "every x,000 miles, pull your pump" as an insurance against blocking coolant passages.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #13

It's not too horribly difficult. Obviously you need to be able to get under the car, so you need jack stands or a lift. You'll also be working through the access panel behind the seats. Some bolts are easier to reach from there, some from underneath. I worked on mine at the same time as I updated my front motor mount, tasks that kind of go hand-in-hand. I say that because each job requires removal of stuff that opens things up for the other job.

Timing-wise, do a search. Jake Raby has chimed in on the matter on numerous occasions. He recommends changing the pump out every few years---I don't remember the number, maybe 4-5?? This whether the car is driven few or many miles. The life span of the OEM pumps seems really variable: I've heard of them going up to close to 100k. I've also heard of them crapping out at a quarter of that mileage (ask husker boxster). When people drive them until they fail, it seems like it averages in the 60-75k range. Mine went at 58.4k.