Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #21

Mad, some parts wear sooner, others go for 200k. (Had a friend with a Pontiac 4 cyl still running the original engine, trans and clutch at 440k miles!) Some have the right oil, the right usage pattern, the right machining tolerances in the beginning. Some don't. Certainly have had to rebuild engine from many companies/countries before their time over my lifetime with cars. Transmissions too.

I'm feeling that by the time there are enough engines in the field and experience with those engines, materials science has moved on. The next generation engines use new "better" parts and then have to go through a similar cycle before the engineers truly understand what the failings are going to be on those new parts.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Mikefoke - see below:

"My Box was deviated at -3 at 50k two years ago. Now at 70k and deviated at -6." and it has a noticable lack of power at low revs.

My first and last Porsche motor! I can live with a plastic window on "a Porsche car" but can't do motor vital parts made of cheap plastic sorry mate....

70k and already out of specs?! now why would that not surprise anyone
Interesting thing is that I have the deviation but have tons of low end power. In fact, with nothing in the oil filter (plastic, etc.), I am not sure that I want to tear the engine down until I see 'something' (either performance or visual) that indicates there's a problem!
I understand the -8 is an indication but I'd like something to corroborate the real issue.
1985 (early) 944; gone now, but not forgotten.
1974 Fiat X-1/9; my first mid-engine car.
UNYboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #23

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote