Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #21

Steve, I have my 2000 s up on the lift and there's 27 inches between the fuel tank And the filter hose.

Ps your cam lock is on its way

Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I also have a TechnoSump waiting to be installed in my Spec Boxster (planned for a Thanksgiving weekend installation). I chose the TechnoSump over the Accusump for several reasons that I'll discuss in the post for the install.
Are you worried the additional "height" of the pan will cause it to catch on curbing or in an off?
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
OK, perpetuating my zombie thread, here are the shots of my relocated Accusump valve handle. I didn't change anything other than rotating the cable inside the cockpit toward the front of the car in and drilling a couple of holes in the side of the center console for mounting.
Lap1

If you choose the Accusump electric valve instead of the mechanical handle, would the cylinder be re-charging by itself when the engine is running, and release the oil when you open the switch? Do you know if this would be a reliable option for a daily driver? just curious..

Thank you in advance
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Lap1

If you choose the Accusump electric valve instead of the mechanical handle, would the cylinder be re-charging by itself when the engine is running, and release the oil when you open the switch? Do you know if this would be a reliable option for a daily driver? just curious..

Thank you in advance
I'm not him, but if you choose the EPC valve the operation of it is like this:

When the valve is off, oil can still flow into the accusump but not out. I believe it flows in faster or slower depending on if you are above or below the target pressure, but I'm not sure which.

When your oil pressure drops below the target threshold for the switch, the valve automatically opens up and lets oil out of the accusump in order to restore oil pressure back to the system.

One use case would be like this:
  1. Turn the key to on, and then flip the switch to enable the pressure sensing switch of the accusump.
  2. The pressure switch would be below the threshold, so it would open the valve and oil from the accusump would flow and pressurize the system, to provide some oil pressure and prevent a dry start
  3. Once you crank the car, oil pressure would quickly rise to above the threshold (if the car is cold) and oil would go into the accusump, stored at the current oil pressure of the car.
  4. If you leave the switch enabled, and then go driving, anytime the pressure falls below the threshold (our cars typically use the 35-40 switch), the valve opens and oil flows out to restore pressure
  5. Once the oil heats up, if you are driving around town, you will be below the threshold everytime you go to idle, and possibly even during low rev driving. It is not really needed in this case. But if you were on the track zipping along, you would want this behavior when you hit a long sweeper at high G and oil pressure starts to drop.
  6. When you get done driving, rev up the engine to around 3000 or so for a moment (if you have an oil pressure gauge, rev up to your desired pressure and hold for a moment) and then turn off the switch that enable the electronic valve, and then shut the car off, thus storing pressurized oil for the next start
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I'm not him, but if you choose the EPC valve the operation of it is like this:
Thanks Steve,

I believe that my question was mostly related to your No. 6

"When you get done driving, rev up the engine to around 3000 or so for a moment (if you have an oil pressure gauge, rev up to your desired pressure and hold for a moment) and then turn off the switch that enable the electronic valve, and then shut the car off, thus storing pressurized oil for the next start"

If you forget to shut off the electronic valve switch, when you turn off the engine (closing the valve through the switch) the Accusump should be already charged, this way as long as you remember to flip the switch when you turn on the ingnition (but before engaging the starter), you would be avoiding a dry start.

Is mi assumption correct?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #26

If you forget to shut off the switch manually but shut the car off, the valve will close when the power is cut and will hold pressure. The pressure will depend on the oil.pressure at the time the car was shut off.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote