Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #41

The metal is non ferrous ie aluminium based. That begs the question is there an issue with the pistons / bores or another part in the engine .? I believe the cam tensioning guides are plastic , these are also a common failure from what I've read, could this be the material you have in your sump ?

Last edited by berty987; 03-03-2012 at 05:26 AM.
berty987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Feelyx,
Thanks for the suggestion. The pieces are not sticking to the magnet. What am I supposed to conclude from this?
Do you have some pics of the metal pieces?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #43

Years/Miles on IMSR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
JFP said about 4-5 failures. Out of 3000? That is good.

You are right about the owners working together. This collective effort and support is what makes owning this car fun and possible. Without this collective effort (and the members of this forum) I wouldn't touch this car with a 10 foot pole.

5 failures out of 3000 with how many years/miles on them? If most have under 2 years and under 10k miles, I'd like to know how many OEM failures we had with such low hours/miles... Might be an even lower percentage?

Given all the talk of how driving habits and oil change intervals effects OEM IMS, I'd also suspect there MUST be a difference between manual and auto trannys and between 2.5 and 3.2 L engines, and would LOVE to hear some statistics on that.

It is great to read all the information on these forums about IMSR and IMSG, but I just keep coming back to the basic fact that we have pretty much only hearsay on percentages of various vehicles OEM failures.

Given that, my plan is to go with IMSG in hopes it might give me warning for any number of possible engine issues, and maybe do IMSR when there is more data of LN replacement failure rates over time and when I have to replace a clutch or fix that tiny oil drip from the RMS (about 1 drip every 2 months)...

Cheers,

Bruce (2000 Boxster S 6MT, 22k miles)
bosbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosbruce View Post
5 failures out of 3000 with how many years/miles on them? If most have under 2 years and under 10k miles, I'd like to know how many OEM failures we had with such low hours/miles... Might be an even lower percentage?
Most of the handful of LN units that had issues were not installed properly; to my knowledge, only one suffered a true failure...........
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #45

The LN kit was first available March of 2009. When last I checked, 4,000+ had been sold but that was several months ago.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #46

Thanks for the info guys, meet the same problem here, how can i get the original ball bearings?
happyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfish View Post
Thanks for the info guys, meet the same problem here, how can i get the original ball bearings?
Unless you have a 2005 or later, you cannot get the OEM unit as Porsche will only sell you their "final solution" large bearing assembly, complete with a new shaft (required) for a bit north of $1K. Then you get to take your entire engine apart to install it.

Long before I would even think about using another steel bearing, I would opt for the highly successful LN ceramic unit; anything else is purely false economy............
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #48

I'd urge anyone with a prior IMS issue to wander over to renntech into the 996 forum and then do a search for "settlement". Porsche has agreed to a legal settlement with a class of folks who own or have owned 2000-2004.5 Boxsters and you'll need to read up on what documentation you'll have to provide to achieve compensation.

This, ironically, doesn't help those who did a LN or Pelican or Casper update, only those who had a failure and processed it through dealerships.

No earlier or later Boxsters aren't covered.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote