Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

I need serious help with tranny problem

Just a little background...I have a 2002 boxster 2.7. I just recently put in a SPEC stage 2 clutch and LUK flywheel. The car drove like a champ for 2 days then on the third day failed me. My shifter goes into gears freely without having to step on the clutch. The clutch still feels very stiff but it doesn't engage any gears or reverse. The shifter can be shifted into the gears without pressing in on the clutch and that worries me a bit. My mechanic checked all the cables and said they were fine then suggested I replace the tranny (WTF!). Now before I go shelling out even more money I was wondering if anyone had any input on my dilemma and would be able to offer me some advice. Buying another tranny is my last resort.

Spaceflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

Are you having that transmission problem before the new clutch was installed? if yes your tranny has a problem, have it diognosed at transmission expert shops for second opinion.

Last edited by Joel-Box-ster; 05-05-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
Joel-Box-ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

+1

If you were not having issues before then it's either:
1. The clutch/flywheel is causing the issue
2. The transmission is the issue
2a. The clutch/flywheel combo caused the issue (spec doesn't have the best reputation)
2b. The shop improperly installed the setup and caused the issue
2c. You had a one in a billion chance of your transmission going out from natural causes

I'm inclined to say its probably not 2c

Your best bet is to be very methodological with the process to 1. Get it fixed before any more damage occurs and 2. Make the party at fault pay

You can form your own opinion about how to do that but if it were me I would:
1. Get a second opinion
2a. Talk to original shop if it's possibly their fault and work out a deal with labor (cheaper that parts to them)
2b. Talk to both shops to write letters to manufacter for new parts or refund if parts caused issue.
2c. Do both: new parts from manufacter if they are damaged and get shop to cover labor

Im sorry to say, but from my expierence, you will probably be sol on both fronts.

In any case, be a gentleman about it.

It will increase your odds of success in free repairs and it's the right thing to do.

Best of luck,

PPW
onefastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

Sigh...I definitely was not having this problem before. You guys are great I appreciate all the help and advice. I suppose I'll just have to replace the tranny because having them tear it apart to diagnose now is gonna run me about the same amount of money. Most likely I'll just park it up for now until I can find one and chalk this up as a loss.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #5

check your CV joints
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #6

It's highly unlikely your transmission just "failed". Logic would dictate that it's related to the clutch work. As mentioned, talk to the person who installed the clutch.

Last edited by stephen wilson; 05-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

Garage
If the Spec clutch disc has springs it doesn't matchup with a oem style dual mass flywheel. If the shop supplied these parts they should fix it.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
If the Spec clutch disc has springs it doesn't matchup with a oem style dual mass flywheel. If the shop supplied these parts they should fix it.
Originally I purchased an aasco alum flywheel along with the SPEC clutch but after reading some of the posts realized the hazard it posed by not having the dualmass to balance things out. I the opted for LUK flywheel to be on the safer side. I work for a car dealership (You'll laugh if I say which) in the parts department so the person fixing my car is one of the Techs that I work with. He's always worked on my car and helped me out...until now. It's a stage 2 clutch, I wasn't aware of any compatibility issues until what you've mention to me now.

The plot thickens....
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceflyer View Post
Originally I purchased an aasco alum flywheel along with the SPEC clutch but after reading some of the posts realized the hazard it posed by not having the dualmass to balance things out. I the opted for LUK flywheel to be on the safer side. I work for a car dealership (You'll laugh if I say which) in the parts department so the person fixing my car is one of the Techs that I work with. He's always worked on my car and helped me out...until now. It's a stage 2 clutch, I wasn't aware of any compatibility issues until what you've mention to me now.

The plot thickens....
Yeah if the disc has springs you can't combine it with a DMF. You might want to contact Spec directly to see what you best solution is but act quickly to prevent damage to the flywheel.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #10

Private message sent. your not too far from me if you want me to check it out.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Yeah if the disc has springs you can't combine it with a DMF. You might want to contact Spec directly to see what you best solution is but act quickly to prevent damage to the flywheel.
The description of the parts are as follows.

SPEC SP892 Clutch Kit Stage 2 2000-2008 Porsche Boxster
* High clamp pressure plate * Pure Kevlar friction material * High torque sprung hub and disc assembly * Bearing and tool kit

So I'm guessing the combination of a sprung hub and DMF is what did it? If thats the case I'm assuming I'll be purchasing another set up again and I'll just have to eat this one. Very upsetting as I only drove the car for a day and half before it failed on me. Even more upsetting is I checked over and over to make sure is was compatible with my car and SPEC's site sure enough said it was. I suppose my efforts weren't enough and I should've did more research. I used to creep around on this forum but it's great to finally be active and have the advice of knowledgeable people. Thanks plenty guys.

I really did love the feel of the of the Stage 2 Clutch though, any recommendations on a Performance Clutch that Would be compatible with a DMF?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #12

A stock clutch with a fresh fluid flush. If it is putting out stock power or even a bit more, stock is the way to go. The bang of a good heavier clutch is also banging the motor and tranny. Be nice to your box and it will reward you.

Just my opinion. If you are going to track it then maybe there is a better option. I know nothing about tracking them.

J
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #13

Yesterday after work I had a chance to look at my car. Mechanically I'm not that good but I do know how to take my wheel off and tighten some nuts and bolts. While I was hoping for the worse, turns out the problem wasn't as major as I first thought. Upon first inspection and looking under my vehicle the first thing I noticed was my axle had came out of the tranny. WOW! This guy failed to tighten the axle bolts and had me stressed out worrying what could've have happened to my car. I took my wheel off and budged the axle till it was back in place and tightened everything. My car is running like a champ again. Needless to say I'll be punching this tech in the throat when I see him at work today. That is all. Thank all you guys for the help.

And although I now have raised concern about my Clutch/Flywheel combo I think I'll just enjoy the feel of having my car back untile another problem arises...