Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

Anyone use the Semi Solid Transmission Mount?

I was going to replace mine this year and started looking for alternatives. I found these on the Pelican site:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=WVO-986SS-TRAN&catalog_description=Boxster%20Semi%2DSolid%20Trans mission%20Mount%20%28%32%20per%20car%2C%20sold%20i ndividually%29

Anyone have experience with this mount?

Chris

Last edited by Dragonwind; 02-08-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #2

Unless you plan on tracking your car, dont install solid or semi solid mounts.

On the good side, if you do install upgraded mounts, youll get very little transmission movement and slightly better handling on/off the throttle.

On the bad side, you will have vibrations transmitted to the chassis that the original mounts absorbed.... which, down the line can cause far more damage
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

I have just installed a set of WEVO transmission mounts, but haven't had time to finish up the new exhaust installation to see how it feels yet. I had read elsewhere (Planet 9 I believe) that doing the transmission mounts and keeping the stock engine mount was a good compromise and didn't make too much NVH - we'll see.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Kippis, that's mainly what I am curious about. My front mount is fine but I still get too much 'rock' of the shifter in 2nd gear. It almost feels like my new FW is not that good but with 113k on the OD I was going to try new transmission mounts even if it is OEM style.

Chris
Old 02-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind View Post
Kippis, that's mainly what I am curious about. My front mount is fine but I still get too much 'rock' of the shifter in 2nd gear. It almost feels like my new FW is not that good but with 113k on the OD I was going to try new transmission mounts even if it is OEM style.

Chris
From my experience it's usually the front engine mount that takes the most punishment from shifting and they crack which is extremely difficult to see. As was said I would not put a semi rigid in unless you are racing. you will feel and hear a lot of engine vibration, so at least put in a new stock one. If you have access to a press I can hook you up with just the stock insert to the mount for half the price of a dealer one. the transmission mounts hardly ever fail.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #6

OK Guys: I finally finished putting my exhaust together, and fired it up for the first time with the WEVO trans. mounts. There is a bit of vibration at idle, but not realy bad at all to me, and is gone at 1500 RPM. Vibration was not nearly as bad as on my M3 with semi-hard engine and trans. mounts.

The Box is still on blocks for more winter work, so I have not had a chance to try on the street yet.

BTW, my new Fabspeed exhaust is much quieter than I thought it would be. I wonder if they went to a different muffler design.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
If you have access to a press I can hook you up with just the stock insert to the mount for half the price of a dealer one.
Hey Harry,

Could you please provide the P/N for the stock insert?
I would like to replace my front engine mount, thank you.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

As a result of increased, vibrations you may trigger the knock sensor and unduely detune the engine...to the best of my knowledge

Perhaps others can comment on specific experience on the Boxster?