Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
2006 987

Garage
Decent factory-looking stereo receiver for 986?

As you probably already know, the receivers in the 986s are crap. Yes I know it's a Porsche and we should be listening to the engine etc, but for an originally $40,000+ car you'd expect *something* decent

Anyway, I'm looking to replace mine, but I really hate the idea of throwing some junk in there that completely ruins the aesthetics of the vehicle. I'd LOVE something that looks like it belongs there.

I also really need something that can connect to my iPhone, even if it's just through a cassette adapter to the headphone jack.

I found this photo somewhere that certainly appears to be a OEM GPS unit in a 986

Turns out Pelican sells it for the bargain price of $4,000 but doesn't even say what features it offers.

Better photo from here

While it looks nice $4,000 is a bit much to spend on a stereo, any other suggestions?

Does anyone have a aftermarket stereo in their 986 that looks OEM?

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
Are you wanting single or double din? I went with a single din - Sony. I will have to look up the model but if you go to a best buy and look at display. The one I went with has bluetooth, pandora usb and color changing display. I set display to match the color of dash lights and it looks very close to factory.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboxst3r View Post
Are you wanting single or double din? I went with a single din - Sony. I will have to look up the model but if you go to a best buy and look at display. The one I went with has bluetooth, pandora usb and color changing display. I set display to match the color of dash lights and it looks very close to factory.
either one is fine.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Many install modern, aftermarket, double-din units which have many advantages over the older OE unit utilizing an installation kit sold by one our forum members.

It creates a factory-like look with all the modern conveniences available.

Here's an older thread on the topic.

Recent Install - DVD Navigation
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Many install modern, aftermarket, double-din units which have many advantages over the older OE unit utilizing an installation kit sold by one our forum members.

It creates a factory-like look with all the modern conveniences available.

Here's an older thread on the topic.

Recent Install - DVD Navigation
took a look at that thread. Does this look factory with all that blank space and different texture?

or this?

if the camera sees those glaring differences I can't imagine how non-OEM it must look in person.

I'm not knocking their stereos, I'm sure they sound great and they're very happy with it, but I'm looking for something that looks like it belongs there and the images in that thread show stereos that clearly did not come from the factory, not like the example I had yesterday.

Does anyone have an aftermarket stereo that looks like it's OEM?

Also, what's the best (not $4,000) OEM 986 stereo? I have... think it's the 201? I heard there's a CD changer stereo that has an adapter for an iphone.

Something like this would be perfect since it has a tape adapter
Old 02-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
WV Boxster

Garage
I will post a picture of mine tomorrow. It doesn't look OEM but it is as close as I could come up with. I am currently working on a navigation holder to add to dash that will look decent, I hope.

Still trying to figure out location of it. I currently have it mounted over speedometer, I really like it there just not sure of mounting. Other choice is under radio over cd holder. Location.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Nakamichi? Some of them look like OEM Beckers but obviously higher quality
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
Nakamichi? Some of them look like OEM Beckers but obviously higher quality
I've done some ebay searches for Nakamichi and Harman Kardon since they made the Harman Kardon Traffic Pro that looks identical to the CDR-220

Unfortunately the traffic pro is a weak attempt at GPS navigation and they're $500+, a used CDR-220 would be a better option.

I think I'll just buy a CDR-220 and use the AUX input with a 3.5mm plug cable

It won't do HD radio but I'll have streaming radio through the iPhone which should be enough.

I'm still open to suggestions to anything that looks factory but a ~$250 CDR-220 and $10 headphone jack adapter is in the lead at the moment
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #9

Good thread. I'm looking to update mine too. Specially because the right side speakers often doesn't play.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
WV Boxster

Garage
Here is a picture from my BB tablet of just the radio.

And here is a mock up of navigation unit placement.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Here is a picture from my BB tablet of just the radio.
that's not quite what I was looking for....

Is that a cigarette lighter on the left of the stereo? Do you have two cigarette lighters?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
Is that a cigarette lighter on the left of the stereo? Do you have two cigarette lighters?
Let me guess... one for the GPS sys charging adpt and one for the iPod/Phone usb adapt. Sweet
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
WV Boxster

Garage
It is actually just a powerpoint. I am also going to change the one on the right out to a powerpoint. With this as my office I need the charging capacity. I will probably be putting two more under dash. I regular charge two phones, a BB tablet, laptop and I have an inverter for a printer just in case I need it. Then I run a navigation and radar detector.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #14

how much are CDR220's worth? my stock one with code is sitting on a shelf in my garage lol

Im actually going to replace my deck with one of the higher line Kenwoods that have the adjustable lighting
Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
how much are CDR220's worth? my stock one with code is sitting on a shelf in my garage lol

Im actually going to replace my deck with one of the higher line Kenwoods that have the adjustable lighting
Check carefully with the Kenwood, the only ones I could find only had blue lighting. I took it out and went with the Sony because it had the dash color as a choice.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Check carefully with the Kenwood, the only ones I could find only had blue lighting. I took it out and went with the Sony because it had the dash color as a choice.
good call...I have a Kenwood excelon in it right now and the neon blue lighting is very annoying and the display is hard to read with the type of pixels they use
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
with code they're ~$200 on ebay, but ebay + paypal takes about 25% in fees so you walk away with $150
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #18

damn! that is an expensive paperweight in my garage lol
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
damn! that is an expensive paperweight in my garage lol
There's nothing on our cars that's cheap. I told my wife if we every needed money desperately we could probably make a quick grand by selling parts off the car like the wind deflector (~$100+), the center console (~$200+), wheel center caps (~$100 for 4), OEM floor mats (~$100+), CDR210 radio (~$100+), OEM side vents (~$100 pair), side door pocket lid (~$100 pair)

it's really crazy. My old car was a Toyota Avalon and you can buy used OEM headlights for that thing for $60 any day. OEM used Boxster headlights are at least $300 each.

My car is worth far more in pieces than it is as a whole.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
WV Boxster

Garage
That is what I was thinking. If I had the room and time, I would go buy up a couple cheap ones and start taking them apart. Have to double your money.