Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #21

You guys do realize the Chinese have their own "Durametric-style" software (although 100% in Chinese) and use a plain and simple USB-to-OBD2 architecture for comm. It's a software on its own and has nothing to do with Durametric look & feel.

The software is by-far more advanced than the Durametric 'pro' version as it literally does everything a piwis does (keys prog, locking systems, adjust this and that, has it ALL... can't list them all here).

Where I'm trying to get at with this is, they are selling it to guys like myself for $60 a license. Instead of the ridiculous amount of money the other one is selling theirs to their Porsche crowd in the USA/CA/EU.

Really makes you wonder; who is stealing who?!

Believe me they could translate everything in English, French, Itralian, and shutdown your mates at Durametric in a flash but hey man.... they don't. Any idea why?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #22

Nobody is hacking the Durametric software; I think that's what you're forgetting. There's no special effort to get the software to work. It's not like other diagnostic tools.

Again, the cable is independent from the software, any diagnostic system. The cable is just a tool to communicate with the ECU. The ECU dictates what type of protocol it can TX/RX.

Is the cable offered by Durametric unique? Yes, no doubt! Can other cable in the market able to communicate like the cable offered by Durametric? Yes, no doubt! Does other cable in the market provide the same feature as cable offered by Durametric? No!

It does not mean that it's cloned or ripped off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
That is actually the point, the Durametric cables are different, each one carries both unique firmware (copyrighted) an encrypted chip that allows their software to work, as well as communicate with Durametric for additional cable firmware updates via the web. As the result, their cables will also not work on any other brand of car, and will not communicate with any other diagnostic software systems; and no other cable will now work with their software either.

Last edited by Trey T; 10-23-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Nobody is hacking the Durametric software; I think that's what you're forgetting. There's no special effort to get the software to work. It's not like other diagnostic tools.

Again, the cable is independent from the software, any diagnostic system. The cable is just a tool to communicate with the ECU. The ECU dictates what type of protocol it can TX/RX.

Is the cable offered by Durametric unique? Yes, no doubt! Can other cable in the market able to communicate like the cable offered by Durametric? Yes, no doubt! Does other cable in the market provide the same feature as cable offered by Durametric? No!

It does not mean that it's cloned or ripped off!
After Durametric version 5.1.3, they changed everything (cable and software) to limit cloning efforts. Durametric 6.0 and later will not work without the latest Durametric cable, which has proven hard to crack due to each one being unique. The latest cable will also not work with the earlier Durametric software. If that were not the case, there would be $39 versions of the current Durametric software and cable being sold on the internet.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
You guys do realize the Chinese have their own "Durametric-style" software (although 100% in Chinese) and use a plain and simple USB-to-OBD2 architecture for comm. It's a software on its own and has nothing to do with Durametric look & feel.

The software is by-far more advanced than the Durametric 'pro' version as it literally does everything a piwis does (keys prog, locking systems, adjust this and that, has it ALL... can't list them all here).

Where I'm trying to get at with this is, they are selling it to guys like myself for $60 a license. Instead of the ridiculous amount of money the other one is selling theirs to their Porsche crowd in the USA/CA/EU.

Believe me they could translate everything in English, French, Itralian, and shutdown your mates at Durametric in a flash but hey man.... they don't. Any idea why?
Probably a clone of PIWIS version 1, which suffered the same problems Durametric did. PIWIS version 2 (current) is a fully networked system that Porsche keeps a very tight rein on, only leasing it, and running an active campaign to disable clone systems that pop up from time to time.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #25

Correct.

Why they don't make it viral is because they know too well that Porsche are very recently putting extra efforts in protecting their brand as much as being very proud, if not jealous, of their engineering integrity. They just don't allow anyone to modify or tap their systems anymore.

I'm surprised some other guy stayed that long in business and still able to 'legally' tap into their corporate assets. Same lawyers or P family's friend perhaps?!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #26

Mind you the protocol handshake and comm is all done by software. Where the P Piwi is not and requires extra "hardware". That alone could qualify for a system on its own in legal terms :/ complicated huh
Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
That is actually the point, the Durametric cables are different, each one carries both unique firmware (copyrighted) an encrypted chip that allows their software to work, as well as communicate with Durametric for additional cable firmware updates via the web. As the result, their cables will also not work on any other brand of car, and will not communicate with any other diagnostic software systems; and no other cable will now work with their software either.
Yes...assuming the encryption for the cable has NOT been cracked by the Chinese (or any other smart IP copier). Just like our cars can be stolen (hacked and started without the key, correct frequency and payload of the 'unlock' command and correct key oscillator freq), the cables can be copied, which has obviously been done..
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

I need me one of these $60 licenses...
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #29

sooree friend me not-not involve, and no-no PM me about crazy s**t

(( I don't even have it myself, I trust my indy (1km away?) has all the knowledge and "right" tools to do the car. ))
Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
Yes...assuming the encryption for the cable has NOT been cracked by the Chinese (or any other smart IP copier). Just like our cars can be stolen (hacked and started without the key, correct frequency and payload of the 'unlock' command and correct key oscillator freq), the cables can be copied, which has obviously been done..
lol funny as hell... just seen/read this (smack) lol

Careful, here ordinary people rules and could be affected by the reality - that's why they still hide UFO technologies. A simple bearing is sufficient to trip someone like me you see.... now I won't be sleeping tonite thinking about my car being abducted almost
Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #31

Follow up to my earlier comment on the Durametric clone I purchased from NewEgg. It no longer works. Keep getting an error that the software cannot identify the cable which may be a version issue. If you update the software and get version 5 or 6 it will not work with the chinese clone cable. I will have to remove program and go back to the disk they sent me which had a very early (version 1 or 2).
zerngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #32
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
DO NOT BUY KNOCKOFF CABLES!!!

They can damage your car, if they even work to begin with. Additionally, while a real Durametric is expensive, if everyone were to buy a knockoff there wouldn't be any software developed to use with it. The Durametric may be pricey, but it's much cheaper than a PST2 or PIWIS. Everyone who is interested enough in DIY maintenance to be interested in a Durametric, should support the real thing!

EDIT: I did not read the whole thread. The above is my opinion with regard to supporting a Porsche specific company so that they can continue to make/support Porsche specific software.

Last edited by rick3000; 07-17-2015 at 02:49 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote