Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #41

Garage
While were throwing the names of German "tuners" around, permit me to indulge in some further immodestly, and tell you how Mr. Fatthauer at 9FF was also kind enough to make me a custom cutback exhaust . The only known one for a 986 boxster in the USA . In addition, some other folks in the "Fatherland", M&M Exhaust (I'm sure that you've heard of them as well), were also kind enough to fabricate a custom set of headers for my vehicle along with HJS tri-metal cats. And, lest I fail to mention the folks at Hamann who were equally gracious to supply me with their bodykit . Although, given the crudeness of it, I'm convinced that a bunch of kids at a German vocational school actually made it for them .

Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderRS View Post
did you ever seen a Porsche from sports cup, with an 8" in front or 19" sizes? i don´t! they all use wider widths and only 18", even in the 997 sports cup. if the higher offset from 8,5 i understand your choice, but i would choose then a 9". as i know, Champion don´t produces 18", is it correct? with 18" you will get a much lighter wheel weight and a better performance too.
Given the difference in offsets, 19 X 8 was by far the better choice . Also, I am fully aware that no one runs 19's as a race application . However, my vehicle is used exclusively on the street . And, at the time there were very few choices with regard to strong, light weight 18 inch wheels . It's nice to see that has since changed .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
. Although, given the crudeness of it, I'm convinced that a bunch of kids at a German vocational school actually made it for them .
Ok and what do you try to explain me with this sentence?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Ok and what do you try to explain me with this sentence?
I was being facetious. In any case, given the prestige behind the Hamann brand, one would expect that a high level of precision and attention to detail would go into the making of their body kits and aero parts . That was hardly my experience . Especially with the front bumper .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #45

Quote:
I was being facetious. In any case, given the prestige behind the Hamann brand, one would expect that a high level of precision and attention to detail would go into the making of their body kits and aero parts . That was hardly my experience . Especially with the front bumper .
Ok. i understand. I will agree, not everyone has a good quality, when you see their products in person. material from the bumper is glasfibre? i know this problem, but you can believe me, our works and quality standarsd are absolutely the highest!

Last edited by SpyderRS; 01-29-2012 at 11:08 AM.
SpyderRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Ok. i understand. I will agree, not everyone has a good quality, when you see their products in person. material from the bumper is glasfibre? i know this problem, but you can believe me, our works and quality standarsd are absolutely the highest!
I definitely agree that the TUV certified FRP parts from Germany are far superior to a lot of the domestically produced stuff here in the USA . Regardless, however, most of the FRP stuff can be pretty crude in it's original form .

p.s. I have H&R front and rear sways on my vehicle . Does that make me any less of a bastard in your mind ?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #47

Quote:
I definitely agree that the TUV certified FRP parts from Germany are far superior to a lot of the domestically produced stuff here in the USA . Regardless, however, most of the FRP stuff can be pretty crude in it's original form .

p.s. I have H&R front and rear sways on my vehicle . Does that make me any less of a bastard in your mind ?
Don´t worry about, you don´t a bastard in my mind!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Don´t worry about, you don´t a bastard in my mind!
Cheers +1 !
Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #49

no offense man, but that pic of your rear wheel looks absurd. there's nothing "exotic" about a small car with big ass heavy 19" rims to slow it down. you sure you don't want to just buy a Solstice?

I have little to no experience with wheel fitment on the Box, but I don't think I need to. Simple physics tells me that your car might work "perfect" in a straight line, but the moment you make any kind of turn at speed, that thing is riding on rim.

Just my $.02, but there's no way that thing is "perfect". I'm with Danger on this one.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #50

Here's my box with 19" by 9.5" you don't need 11 in the back to have a nice clean look. No rubbing issues at all.

Last edited by ohhh my; 02-16-2012 at 07:28 PM.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #51

Agreed. That looks nice.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
no offense man, but that pic of your rear wheel looks absurd. there's nothing "exotic" about a small car with big ass heavy 19" rims to slow it down. you sure you don't want to just buy a Solstice?

I have little to no experience with wheel fitment on the Box, but I don't think I need to. Simple physics tells me that your car might work "perfect" in a straight line, but the moment you make any kind of turn at speed, that thing is riding on rim.

Just my $.02, but there's no way that thing is "perfect". I'm with Danger on this one.
Not to fan the flames any further, but there appears to be about a 25mm gap between the tire wall and the lip of the wheel .
Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Here's my box with 19" by 9.5" you don't need 11 in the back to have a nice clean look. No rubbing issues at all.

Looks great . I always felt that the Victor wheel was a good choice for the money .
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #54

Quote:

Do you meaned me? If so, please take a look at the sizes, which i use. there are 18" rims and 3-piece custom made with forged center disk, so the wheels are very light.

I drive this rims since 2005 and more than 30thsd. miles without any issues... wether on german autobahn in highspeed or on the race track in Hockenheim, so you can believe it, when i say it works perfect... not easy to tell what, if you've never driven in such a car with.

of course, looks a beautiful 19 "wheel better but that does not mean that it also runs better with it. as I know, that victor wheel wheights are not the lightest, because we have a customers 993tt conversion so equipped.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Do you meaned me? If so, please take a look at the sizes, which i use. there are 18" rims and 3-piece custom made with forged center disk, so the wheels are very light.

I drive this rims since 2005 and more than 30thsd. miles without any issues... wether on german autobahn in highspeed or on the race track in Hockenheim, so you can believe it, when i say it works perfect... not easy to tell what, if you've never driven in such a car with.

of course, looks a beautiful 19 "wheel better but that does not mean that it also runs better with it. as I know, that victor wheel wheights are not the lightest, because we have a customers 993tt conversion so equipped.
I was saying, that if you want to put 19" rims on a Boxster, they're not gonna be light unless they're VERY high end rims and even in that pic with the 18", there's no room left to even squeeze a 19" on. You also posted a follow up pic of a 993 (sexy car btw) which has wiiiiide flares and the space for a larger rim.

How does you car handle turns? Do you not have "curb rash" all over your rims? Check out this video: Shannonville - 08 Accent Low Profile 16" Alloys - YouTube

I don't track mine so I don't know if there's a "technical" term for that effect, but in the pic of your rear wheel, there's no way in hell you're not riding rim on any kind of turn at decent speed.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #56

Quote:
I was saying, that if you want to put 19" rims on a Boxster, they're not gonna be light unless they're VERY high end rims and even in that pic with the 18", there's no room left to even squeeze a 19" on. You also posted a follow up pic of a 993 (sexy car btw) which has wiiiiide flares and the space for a larger rim.

How does you car handle turns? Do you not have "curb rash" all over your rims? Check out this video: Shannonville - 08 Accent Low Profile 16" Alloys - YouTube

I don't track mine so I don't know if there's a "technical" term for that effect, but in the pic of your rear wheel, there's no way in hell you're not riding rim on any kind of turn at decent speed.
As i say, there´s no issues, all wheels doesn´t have a "curb rash", since they are installed. When use the right tire pressure, it handle without any issues.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #57

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:36 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #58

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #59

Old 08-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #60

Quote:
Hi,

the RW5 rim in 19x11 offset 40 fits with a 8mm spacer, but i don´t think, that`s possible with a 295 tyre... however... in this configuration only a 265 or 275 should possible, because the 295 would be scratch outside on fender and perhaps inside on the strut. If you want to get lowering your boxster, keep in mind that each rear fender must be widened for 1" and needs a more negative camber!
I have a set of 18 x 11 with 295 tires I tried once just to see. No where close to fitting. Rubs everywhere and that was before I had the m030 suspension