Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Danger - Deal brotha

I'll pass on the sledgehammer... those must be on the list of banned weapons here in China but definetly looking at making this DIY fender roller (see link below) with one old vw jack and a 7mm porsche spacer I have somewhere in the garage

VWVortex.com - Fender Roller (a DIY!)
Hey Mad, I'm just trying to help you out. But, there's no way an 11 inch wheel will properly fit on a 986 boxster . What SpyderRS has done to his vehicle in order make those wheels fit is an absolute abomination ! Not only does it look ridiculous, but I'm also certain that the vehicle isn't even drivable . You have a great looking vehicle . And, there must be a buzzillion wheels to choose from out there . Why do you insist on tempting fate with those bobo wheels ? You should check out the Victor Zehn wheel . It's nice looking wheel with good fitment at a reasonable price .

Here's an example of a very aggressive fitment . My vehicle has 19 x 10's with a +31 offset on the rear . This is about as aggressive as you can go while still maintaining proper clearance, along with excellent handling characteristics for the street .

Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #22

Hey Johnny Danger, for what reason you tell some stupid things? the car works absolutely perfect in every situation and what to hell should looks ridiculous and did you ever drive my car to makes you able for saying it isnīt drivable? it isnīt the first boxster, that i modified and i know exactly, what fits and works and what not!

Your fitment is fancy... if you really have any expierience... you should know that your low offset on 10" isnīt the perfect choice! you did forget to tell us the offset in front! Too bad you're so far away, then i would love to compare the performance of our cars!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #23

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:37 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #24

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #25

I had custom rims made for my car and 19x10 was the most aggressive they would do knowing that the car will be driven daily. As seen, you can fit an 11" but you will have to do a lot of work to get them to fit (I.e. rolling the fender lips, negative camber, etc.).

My car with 19x10 rears with 275

Good luck on your decision and don't forget to post photos when done!

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by Appleguy; 01-29-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #26

Mark, my wheels are custom made too, and i can confirm to you it works perfect!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderRS View Post
Mark, my wheels are custom made too, and i can confirm to you it works perfect!
Oh no doubt about that. They look great!

I am just saying that I wasn't willing to do the extra modifications to get the 11 to fit. My car will ultimately be given to my son when he turns 16 so I didn't want to go too extreme with the settings.

Cheers

Mark
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #28

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #29

The whole point of fitting a wider wheel is to properly mount a wider tire. An 11" width wheel with a 265 tire is a waste.
You can fit a wider tire PROPERLY on the 986 with a 10" wheel & not bother with any fender rolling nonsense.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #30

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Hey Johnny Danger, for what reason you tell some stupid things? the car works absolutely perfect in every situation and what to hell should looks ridiculous and did you ever drive my car to makes you able for saying it isnīt drivable? it isnīt the first boxster, that i modified and i know exactly, what fits and works and what not!

Your fitment is fancy... if you really have any expierience... you should know that your low offset on 10" isnīt the perfect choice! you did forget to tell us the offset in front! Too bad you're so far away, then i would love to compare the performance of our cars!
I have more experience with wheel fitment and suspension set-up than you have contemplating your belly button . What you have going on with your vehicle is positively ridiculous . And, moreover presents a bad influence on anyone who is attempting to upgrade their vehicle in a methodical and sound way . Short of some asinine approach to rolling out fenders beyond reason, or foolishly jacking up the rear suspension in order to create clearance, there's no way in hell that an 11 inch wheel can properly fit on a 986 boxster .

p.s. My fitment isn't just fancy . It involves a carefully selected set of one piece forged Champion RS-98's, along with a custom PSS 9 set-up . Considerable time and energy went into calculating this wheel application, as well as dialing in the suspension .
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
The whole point of fitting a wider wheel is to properly mount a wider tire. An 11" width wheel with a 265 tire is a waste.
You can fit a wider tire PROPERLY on the 986 with a 10" wheel & not bother with any fender rolling nonsense.
Sorry, but your statement is nonsense too! when u fit a wider tire on a 10" wheel, you donīt can do an agressive fitment ! without any modifications only a 9,0 or 9,5" with 285/30 is possible... 10" and offset 31 with 285/30 combined with lower suspension donīt fits without modifications at the fender!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I have more experience with wheel fitment and suspension set-up than you have contemplating your belly button . What you have going on with your vehicle is positively ridiculous . And, moreover presents a bad influence on anyone who is attempting to upgrade their vehicle in a methodical and sound way . Short of some asinine approach to rolling out fenders beyond reason, or foolishly jacking up the rear suspension in order to create clearance, there's no way in hell that an 11 inch wheel can properly fit on a 986 boxster .

p.s. My fitment isn't just fancy . It involves a carefully selected set of one piece forged Champion RS-98's, along with a custom PSS 9 set-up . Considerable time and energy went into calculating this wheel application, as well as dialing in the suspension .
Of course... reviewing your car shows me your great expierience... lol

What to hell involves a carefully selection on your car? the PSS9 isnīt the best in suspensions, because they use standard adjustable shock absorbers, so you donīt become more lowering as - 45mm .... and what a performance you will get with this camber? Most of german owners who use the PSS9 for the track, changes the the springs and use them from H&R...

If you donīt know... we are a technology partner for development division from H&R in Germany... so you want to tell me something about set upīs!? Btw. ... you have forget to tell us the offset from your front wheels... also interesting for the wheel weights....

Last edited by SpyderRS; 01-29-2012 at 09:53 AM.
SpyderRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Sorry, but your statement is nonsense too! when u fit a wider tire on a 10" wheel, you donīt can do an agressive fitment ! without any modifications only a 9,0 or 9,5" with 285/30 is possible... 10" and offset 31 with 285/30 combined with lower suspension donīt fits without modifications at the fender!
Who said anything about running a 285/30 ? I run a 275/30 with no modifications to the fender .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Who said anything about running a 285/30 ? I run a 275/30 with no modifications to the fender .
Johnny, of course there are no issue with this height! Try it to get lower and then we can talk about again! Also 19" donīt enhanched the performance of a 986 Boxster. on the contrary, it deteriorates!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Of course... reviewing your car shows me your great expierience... lol

What to hell involves a carefully selection on your car? the PSS9 isnīt the best in suspensions, because they use standard adjustable shock absorbers, so you donīt become more lowering as - 45mm .... and what a performance you will get with this camber?

If you donīt know... we are a technology partner for development division from H&R in Germany... so you want to tell me something about set upīs!? Btw. ... you have forget to tell us the offset from your front wheels... also interesting for the wheel weights....
My PSS9's came from 9FF in Germany (I'm sure that you heard of them !), wherein they chose specific spring rates they felt would accommodate a balance between street and track . Their affiliated in the USA subsequently set-up my vehicle based on their extensive experience regarding Porsche Cup Racing, i.e.. setting the dampening, carefully aligning the suspension, sway bars and stress braces, corner balancing ect.. As far as my front wheels are concerned, they're 19 x 8 +31 offset with 235/35/19's . The rears weight around 19 lbs and the fronts around 18 lbs. That constitutes a reduction of more than 50 lbs of unsprung weight and rotational mass .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #37

Great! From this basic we can do a serios discussion! Of course i know Jan Fatthauer, he is absolutely perfect in his work.

Sure, that only 8,0 in front? It is to narrow for the front, you can use 8,5 or 9" without any issues, to get a better performance. your wheel weights are very low, thatīs perfect.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Johnny, of course there are no issue with this height! Try it to get lower and then we can talk about again! Also 19" donīt enhanched the performance of a 986 Boxster. on the contrary, it deteriorates!
Why would I want to lower my vehicle any further ? I'm already at the threshold where I'm barely able to clear a piece of bubblegum on a hot day . LOL ! Also, tracking aside, how do you figure having 19's on my vehicle detracts from it's performance ? Granted, I may have given up some "cushion" (although that's debatable) . However, my goal was to find the lightest, strongest wheel possible in order the reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass . I think that I more than accomplished this goal with the wheel that I chose .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Great! From this basic we can do a serios discussion! Of course i know Jan Fatthauer, he is absolutely perfect in his work.

Sure, that only 8,0 in front? It is to narrow for the front, you can use 8,5 or 9" without any issues, to get a better performance. your wheel weights are very low, thatīs perfect.
First off, I don't know of anyone who runs a 9 inch wide wheel on the front of a 986 boxster . Secondly, the reason why I chose an 8 inch front was because the 8.5 inch version that was available had too high of an offset to clear the adjustable perch on the coilovers. I previously used 8.5's, and I tell you from experience that vehicle suffered no loss of balance .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #40

did you ever seen a Porsche from sports cup, with an 8" in front or 19" sizes? i donīt! they all use wider widths and only 18", even in the 997 sports cup. if the higher offset from 8,5 i understand your choice, but i would choose then a 9". as i know, Champion donīt produces 18", is it correct? with 18" you will get a much lighter wheel weight and a better performance too.

Last edited by SpyderRS; 01-29-2012 at 10:32 AM.
SpyderRS is offline   Reply With Quote