Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

Dead battery/Trunk won't open

2000 Boxster with a manual trunk release. The battery is dead and the manual latch seems to be locked. I tried to charge the battery with a lighter charger with no luck. Will the jumper cable technique work?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

A summary of all the "get it jumped" techniques I've ever read about is here
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

The short answer is lots of threads and it's covered in your owner's manual. But, you'll have to jump it from your fuse box, instructions also in manual. Many of us have been there.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #4

dead battery

Thanks guys. I got it open (my neighbors car). The fuse box method only works from 2001 on. I used a piece of a coat hanger wire to flip the lever from the lock position as was explained in the first reply post below.

This is a great forum. Someone always has the answer.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Re-rout the emergency release cable near the passenger headlight to the tow "plug" area for instant access...forever.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
bjr

well this is timely. i'm new here and this was to be my very first question!

thanks, everyone! i'll let you know how it turns out.
bjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

I had the "dead battery" problem today on my Boxster (lack of use). I tried using a good donor battery (from my Audi) with -ve to the the door latching point and +ve to the pull out terminal in the fuse board. Bonnet (hood) would still not open. Could not locate the emergency pull cable in the wheel arch despite completely removing the wheel and inner arch. However after consulting with a brilliant mechanic electrician the fix took less than 2 minutes.
Remove the ignition fuse (30Amp). We then clamped a piece of wire with an inline 5Amp fuse under the +ve lead attached to pullout terminal and the other end to the fuse board ignition terminal. Turn the ignition key to the first position, the ignition lights up, you can pop the bonnet open, and stop the alarm horn in seconds. However, do not attempt to start the car at this stage as the wiring cannot take it.I accept no responsibilty for any damage if u try this. It worked for me and would have saved all the messing about under the wheel arch

Boxsterbobby is offline   Reply With Quote