Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Sounds like you had a lot of fun working on your project.
I was following your whole progress here and on the pelican website I’m sure it will be very helpful to me (and other people) when I will perform this project myself.

Just one question if I may, I remember you had an issue with getting the transmission back in place. I am not sure if I understood what your problem was.
Was it the clutch slave piston giving you the problems?
Thanks Meir - I'm not out of the water yet, going to take a lunch break and put my old belt back in. I'm doubting I would have put the one that shredded last night back in wrong...but it is possible . I'm also not convienced about my clutch...we'll see and I'll keep you updated.

The transmission issue was two things, one would have gone unfound but since I backed things out I found it. I had put the pressure plate on slightly wrong, failed to do the obvious and use the guide posts on the flywheel, as I mentioned I must have been rushing so I could utilize my Dad's help while he was over. The second problem was getting the trans in. The input shaft teeth have to line up properly with the teeth on the clutch disk...you can practice it while things are out of car. I found if I rotated the crank a little at a time the two sets of teeth sync'ed up and the input shaft slid right in. Peace of cake and can be done alone.
As for the clutch slave, since it was new it was easiest to just put it in the transmission ahead of time. What Brad suggested though is just put a little grease on it and it can be done after trans is in too. A new slave is a little unwilling to go in the first time . Like everything though you learn by doing things once and figure out the best way to wiggle things on these cars .

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #22

Quote:
I found if I rotated the crank a little at a time the two sets of teeth sync'ed up and the input shaft slid right in. Peace of cake and can be done alone.
Put the tranny in gear (just push the selector forward), hold one side of the output flange and twist the other. No need to get out from under the car and "turn the crank"

I have about half a million speed secrets Been using that one for 26 years

B

Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote