Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #1

Reinstalling CDR220

I took out the Kenwood flip-up head unit and the amps and all the souped up stuff out. Now need to reinstall the original CDR220. I'm sure the Kenwood install required some mod to the original harness. Where can I get some help with the reinstall steps. I'd like to do it myself. I have the original amp and the speakers and would like to add the iPod connectivity to the Aux input for which there is plug and play cable available.

Thanks.

Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

This is the iPod/Aux plug in solution that I installed with my CDR220: BLAU/8-POD3 iPod Adapter + Aux Input for Blaupunkt & Becker Radios :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces :: Discount Car Stereo
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

should not have to do anything with the harness, if it was someone that had a clue what they were doing you should just have to unplug the aftermarket harness and plug back in the factory one into the 220, should take no more than 20 minutes
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
should not have to do anything with the harness, if it was someone that had a clue what they were doing you should just have to unplug the aftermarket harness and plug back in the factory one into the 220, should take no more than 20 minutes
Looks like they didn't. I'm looking at the harness in the frunk and it doesn't look pretty. Going to try it anyway with stock. If it works then I'll keep it for while and then switch to a nice navigation/BT/iPad in dash unit.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

I was talking about the harness behind the deck....but if the frunk harness is all spliced and beat up then you might need to take it to a stereo shop......wanna sell the head unit?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #6

Quote:
I was talking about the harness behind the deck....but if the frunk harness is all spliced and beat up then you might need to take it to a stereo shop......wanna sell the head unit?
You mean the CDR220? I want to put it back in and try it first. I think I'd like to see the dash all lit up stock. If I change my mind after then I'll let you know.

However, I do want to sell the kenwood set. It has the KVT819, 2 JL amps with the mounting box that goes in the frunk, subwoofer with mounting box that foes in the passenger footwell, Tsunami power brick, all the wires (not stock harness-i need those) etc. Should be a quick install without the need for any fabrication.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #7

no, I was talking about the Kenwood deck, not interested in amps or subs or anything, just a nice deck....I already have a CDR220 sitting on a shelf in the garage
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #8

I did the same thing you're doing - took out the aftermarket unit that came with my car and didn't match the rest of the dash at all, and re-installed a factory radio. Although the aftermaket unit came with adapter plugs, the hack that owned the car before me chose not to use them and cut and spliced the wires instead. I have no idea why. At any rate, it wasn't too hard to fix it using a multimeter and the wiring diagrams supplied with the Bentley manual.

When I was finished it all worked fine. I didn't really care if it worked or not because I never use the radio. I just wanted it to look factory. I was actually looking for a non-functioning radio so that I could pick it up for cheap but, as I ended up with a working one, I figure I might as well spend the time to hook it up properly.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #9

The installer had cut out the wire to the Haes amp connector. Took me a couple hours to 1. figure out how to connect the plug into the amp 2. how the wiring could be redone. 2 was easier than 1. Ended up breaking out the outer plastic of the connector plug. Why would design such a plug? Guess it needed some special tool. Well, one special that I had was a screw driver so it worked!

When all wires were connected it fired up pretty nice. Even tough it's not stock speakers (the aftermarket is still in there and I do have the stock) it sounds very nice. The door speakers sound thump thump on bass. Not sure why as they were working great on the aftermarket unit. Will replace all speakers with stock tomorrow.

Want to get an ipod connector for the cdr 220 and I'll be set.

Questions:

1. How do you secure the amp to the body? The bottom sits on the 2 clip mount just above the spare but where the top two go the holes are empty. Suspecting PO took it out. Does it have one of those rubber mounts that you screw into? Where can I get them as my pollen filter top cover also needs one.

2. Where does the antenna connect to? Looks like a wire needs to be put around the circular bolt int he back. Couldn't see any wire though.

3. I put the equalizer (?) on top slot, radio below, next one is empty. This is where I would like a cubby hole. Last one has the HVAC as that is the one with the two screws. Is this the stock config?

4. Need face plate for the top equalizer. Are they easy to get?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I did the same thing you're doing .......
I guess I'm not crazy after all!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
no, I was talking about the Kenwood deck, not interested in amps or subs or anything, just a nice deck....I already have a CDR220 sitting on a shelf in the garage
Have to think about this. I have the whole set including the wiring harness hack that someone could use. Give me some time.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #12

Looking-for-answers bump!

Questions:

1. How do you secure the amp to the body? The bottom sits on the 2 clip mount just above the spare but where the top two go the holes are empty. Suspecting PO took it out. Does it have one of those rubber mounts that you screw into? Where can I get them as my pollen filter top cover also needs one.

2. Where does the antenna connect to? Looks like a wire needs to be put around the circular bolt in the back. Couldn't see any wire though.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #13

There is an adaptor plate that the stock amp attaches to. The metal adaptor plate slides into the two mounts just above the spare. There are two tabs on top of the adaptor plate that are bent 90 degrees towards the back of the car. A bolt goes into each tab that hold it to the fire wall. There are rubber covered nuts, sort of an anti-shock mount, that these bolts go into. I got new rubber nuts from the stealership $10.00 each. Be careful and don't over tighten the bolts that go into these nuts, go easy.

The thumping you hear from the door speakers is one of the main reasons people swap out the Becker head unit. There is a crossover in the Becker unit and this thumping is the stock sound.

If the aftermarket speakers look stock, then I wouldn't go through the effort of swapping them back to stock, but that is just my opinion.
Skeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #14

Was able to find the similar rubber covered nut mount at Lowes and fix the amp.

Still looking for the antenna wire that needs to attach to the head unit - CDR 220. It goes into the round alum turn know in the back right bottom. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #15

Got the MAP mounted. The bass vibration is somewhat reduced after I used the manual to adjust the stereo settings. Becker tech says I probably have 4 ohm speakers and the unit supports only 2 ohms and that could be the issue. Need to pull out the door speakers and test.

Still FADE-to-back does not put out any music in the rear box speakers. It was working before. Any advice?

How do you program the DSP thingy? It's not on the CDR manual?

Hooked up iWireP iPoD connector and it works great.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #16

Smile

Are your rear speakers stock?
My 2001 S came with the dash and door speakers, and the factory amp in the frunk. I added rear speakers. My rear speakers are hooked up to the back of the Becker head unit. There is no place on the factory amp for them. If your speakers are not working check the back of the radio and make sure the rear speakers are connected. Another place to check is the plug near the rear speaker compartment. There is a disconnect plug there so that the rear speaker compartment can come out in order to remove the engine cover. I built my own wire bundle for my rear speakers. After searching the web site, I found a description of the Molex connector for the back of the Becker. I have a few of the Molex connectors left over.
PM me if you want them.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #17

Skeefy,
I have the disconnect plug right behind the passenger seat. The wiring looks stock but the speakers are aftermarket. I tried again and it looks like its working but the left side is way too low. The right is ok but overall the level shuld be high when you fade the stereo to the back. The back of the radio has only one plug connected that is stock. Of course i added the ipod connector later. The amp wiring was molested with by the PO for the set that was installed earlier. I did a reconnectof them. Maybe i have to go back and check the wiring.

Question for you is dont the rear speakers with the boxes come as stock all wired up? Mine is a 6x40w amp if that explain anything.

Thanks
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #18

Bala,
Porsche makes the wiring harness specific to the car, and not all Boxes come with rear speakers as stock. To find out if your Box came with rear speakers stock you will need to look at the under side of the front trunk lid and copy all of the codes that are printed on the factory sticker. Rennlist and a few other sites can provide you a list of all the factory codes, and you can see what your car came with from the factory.
Your amp is 6X40 which means it has 6 channels and 40 watts per channel.
In theory the Becker is a 6 channel head unit. 2 dash speakers (1 Left and 1 Right), 2 rear speakers (L&R), and 2 door speakers (L&R). But the door speaker volume is very low so I would not consider the Becker a true 6 channel head unit.
Assuming you have the balance adjusted for equal Left and Right, the volume should be the same Left and Right. If the Left channel is weak, or non-existant, then the problem can be with your wires, the amp, a bad speaker, or the Becker. You may have to bite the bullet and take your car to a local car audio shop.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #19

I am going to take my speakers to radio shack and have them tested. Or maybe eben put stock back in to see how the original ones perform. thanks,
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #20

Good luck, let me know what you find out.