Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

AO Separator assessment

I did the throttle body cleaning and cleaned out the intake cross tubes etc. I noticed oil coming out the ribbed tune connecting the AO to the Throttle body assembly. Is this an indication that AO needs replacement? Is there another way to check/verify. I read somewhere that unscrewing the oil cap with the engine running would confirm it. Inputs appreciated. Thanks.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

yes. keep the engine running and try to remove the oil cap. if there is a huge amount of suction, then you need your AOS replaced.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

The guy above me is correct If it is nearly impossible to take the cap off with the engine running, the AOS is bad. It should have a slight suction on it with the engine running.

I would not be too concerned about oil in that tube (unless you dumped a quart out of it) :LOL:

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
The guy above me is correct If it is nearly impossible to take the cap off with the engine running, the AOS is bad. It should have a slight suction on it with the engine running.

I would not be too concerned about oil in that tube (unless you dumped a quart out of it) :LOL:

B
Definitely not a quart. At $7 a quart that would be unaffordable! I will check the oil cap today. Working on the plug tubes and coil tubes.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #5

Pulled the oil cap with the engine running. Very slight suction if any. Hardly noticeable. Guess I kicked the AOS can down the road.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 01-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

How much oil in the tube? A fine mist amount is expected, but if it looks like it was pulling serious amounts of oil into the tube, there has to be a hole somewhere.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #7

Not too much oil and it ain't a mist either. When I disconnected the ribbed tube there were some drops. How else can I verify? Car is 11 years old. Maybe better to change it? I ordered it anticipating a failed one when I planned to do the throttle body cleaning.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 01-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

That really doesn't sound like a problem (oil in the tube).

You are on the right track replacing the plastic tubing parts. It took me a while to track down a crankcase air leak on my 98 (rough idle). Turned out there was a crack in the dipstick tube that only showed itself by leaking a few drops of oil after a track day. Replaced that then found out my AOS was bad. When replacing the AOS the original tube to the throttle body shattered while removing it.
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
That really doesn't sound like a problem (oil in the tube).

When replacing the AOS the original tube to the throttle body shattered while removing it.
Happened to me as well. I hate how many different types of clips and clamps there are. No uniformity. Just when you think it's one type it turns out to be another and breaks. Vehicle's age doesn't help either.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Happened to me as well. I hate how many different types of clips and clamps there are. No uniformity. Just when you think it's one type it turns out to be another and breaks. Vehicle's age doesn't help either.

Yup, think of the parts sales one can attribute to the connector learning curve and you know Porsche makes money on the DIY ers. When I replaced the AOS the new, redesigned, plastic, brittle, tube broke it's connector upon installation. The fit is so precise they left it like 2mm short, truly one of their weak efforts in design, pipe should be a flex line.

Porsche polymers are truly crap, have been since my first car, Porsche should use someone else as a polymer supplier.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote