Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #1

Thumbs up Boxster Spec Brake Rotors

Boxster Spec brake rotors - PRECISION CHASSIS**** WORKS************

A lot better than cross-drilled design.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Interesting design. I've seen slotted, dimpled, and now... cresent.

I've used solid, slotted, and drilled rotors on my Boxster. The drilled rotors had the least fade and seemed to brake the best but cracked around the holes. The solid and slotted performed exactly the same as far as I could tell. Experience based on about 8 track days and a several thousand street miles each. In the future, I plan to run drilled rotors and replace them with each pad change. More expensive but they seem to perform better and look kind of sporty.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

Are the crescents machined so that when they are gone the rotor is at its limit? Any plans to make them for 996 as well?
1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltusler View Post
Are the crescents machined so that when they are gone the rotor is at its limit? Any plans to make them for 996 as well?
For 996, you can get Performance Friction 2-piece rotors with dimples on it, that's what I have on mine. I ordered them from vividracing.com.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/performance-friction-front-dimpled-rotors-porsche-9905-p-60667.html

Last edited by ekam; 12-27-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #5

I believe they are scallops.. I need to try a set of these. I discussed this with him a year or so back, forgot he actually did them!!
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I believe they are scallops.. I need to try a set of these. I discussed this with him a year or so back, forgot he actually did them!!
I made all of one set (for Thomas's car). Still have the fixture and CNC program, but they never really caught on and then I got distracted with the Subaru conversion and stopped trying to market to the BSR scene.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

It appears your marketing guy is doing his job! lol Now you'll get 50 people wanting them and only 5 paying for them!!

(parts went out today)

B
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #8

Im not a brake expert but wouldn't it eat away at the brakes much quicker due to the fact that the crescent shape isn't drilled through. Its just indented, and for ventilation purposes it would cause a brake dust build up. Now im not sure of this, its just a thought and they do look cool and i would like to see them in action, or hear from someone who has them on there boxster. please feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #9

It was **suggested** that we take a look at the AP racing rotors for GT3 Race cars

We know they work

It has more to do with sweeping the hot gases away.

B
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I could be completely wrong but I saw these exact same rotors/design everywhere on the shelves here at our famous autoparts village last weekend. They run at RMB175.00 ($26) each. That groove thing looks pretty cute... if not proper R&D.... although quite heavy compared to the 'flawless and affordable' cquence rotors that I've installed recently
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
I could be completely wrong but I saw these exact same rotors/design everywhere on the shelves here at our famous autoparts village last weekend. They run at RMB175.00 ($26) each. That groove thing looks pretty cute... if not proper R&D.... although quite heavy compared to the 'flawless and affordable' cquence rotors that I've installed recently
Well then you should resell them here to make a profit, I'm sure there's plenty of people who wants to buy cheap chinese rotors...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #12

Lots of aftermarket and performance auto parts here but beware.... it's all replicas and copied-tech, of much lower quality materials really (often funny). Nothing yet creative enough here mate

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote