Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Turn signal lever does stay

The turn signal lever doesn't stay put all of a sudden. I keeps wanting to come back to center position. Then the left was working fine but wouldn't cancel out? Repair? Replacement? or WD40?

Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #2

When mine did that... I also had a small piece of black plastic dropping down to my floor mat. In my case, the lever would not stay on right turns and would not cancel on left turns.

Had to replace the entire turn signal/wiper/obc assembly... Had a good look at the signal assembly, it's a integrated unit with the wiper, didn't seem viable to repair.

BTW, the 3 lever assembly is the most expensive, followed by the 4 lever and the cheapest is the 2 lever.... always wondered why my 3 stalk assembly is the most expensive. Ended up buying the 2 lever and transferring my obc lever over.

Last edited by shlim8; 12-16-2011 at 08:19 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

Garage
Probably a replacement... The fact that the left turn signal does not return to center is an indication of broken unit. Do you have a three or four lever unit/switch?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #4

it is a 4 lever assembly.
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

I think the 4 stalk is actually cheaper than the three stalk last time I check.

I just removed my combo switch, drilled out the rivets and broke the other plastic piece so i can hold the turn signal in the place when needed. I then used some screws to put combo switch back together. Of course that means you have to cancel the turn signal yourself.

Last edited by healthservices; 12-23-2011 at 03:43 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

just happened today. bleh!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #7

I saw a 4 stalk for sale

Porsche Boxster Buyer's Tips, Mods, and More

I have no idea if he still has it or not, If you need a three stalk let me know...I have a great one I might sell

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

i'm not worried about finding the part, or how to do it. i just thought it was funny that everyone seems to have the same issue - left turn will not turn off, right turn will not stay on.

i can tell you exactly when it happened. i was turning in to the house and heard a distinct click-crunch from the steering column. i remember thinking "wow, that was an odd noise"...

i don't relish the thought of removing the steering wheel or airbag, but oh well. i had planned on installing a 4-stalk unit for a while so i guess i finally have a better reason than "because i want it"...
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

It's not hard to do: first mod I did on mine. Removing the steering wheel and airbag is easy. Just be careful when removing/replacing the clock-spring as there are some little plastic thingies that hold it in position which get quite fragile with old age.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
This just happen yesterday to my car, let my daughter drive it and she told me the turn signal stalk wasn't working right. Exact same thing as this left turn will not turn off, right turn will not stay on.

So I'm looking through eBay to find a replacement and in the listing is says ( broken clips on clockspring ).

Can my clips on clockspring be removed from my unit onto the broken unit?

Thanks!
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Never mind the question. I bought a complete 4 stalk unit and will enable the OBC function of the 4th stalk with my Durametric tool.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #12

It seems obvious that this is a weak spot (my car as well). Wouldn't you then want the newest one available, I.E.-- brand spankin' new ?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #13
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
It seems obvious that this is a weak spot (my car as well). Wouldn't you then want the newest one available, I.E.-- brand spankin' new ?
Have you looked at the prices of new units? My car has 115k miles on it and it finally broke, not while I was driving it. Most dismantlers list the mileage on the car it came from, so you can kinda gauge how much it's been used.

It may be when pushed the wrong way it breaks, daughter had not driven my car in a long time. I was working on her car so she had to take mine. Her normal car is a Mitsubishi Eclipse and she commented how the pedals are so different in placement. I have a feeling the turn signal lever was different to her and possibly pushed it the wrong way.

I'm excited to get the 4 stalk unit. Never new my car had the functions for this, they just need to be turned on, which the Durametric tool can do.

Last edited by KRAM36; 01-29-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #14

Your daughter knows how to use the blinkers- it's a plastic problem...