Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #1

Wheel Noise

Last week I heard a faint noise coming, I think, from the right wheel area. I took it in to the shop and it wasn't a wheel bearing but they couldn't locate the noise.

The noise is rather high pitched and it is dependant on speed. I can hear it when I drive but it isn't that loud. Today I noticed that as the car slowed and I put on the brakes I got a little more noise. Could this be something in the brake that is touching another part? The brake warning light has not come on and I haven't noticed any difference in braking power. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks,
Tom

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I get a high frequency squeal from my right rear brake sometimes, and more often than I'd like, really. It's only that wheel, and it's definitely the brakes, because I only hear it when they are applied. It's not consistent, but it is a frequent occurence, and I thought it had to do with the brakes being cold, but even after they're good and hot it can still happen. I think it has to do with the amount of pressure I put on the brakes. It doesn't take much of a foot stomp to stop our cars, as many of us know, so I find myself not hitting the brakes very hard, and many times I will get that high pitched noise. If I apply more pressure to the brakes, 99 times out of 100 it will go away immediately, and that 1 other time it may take another second or two to go away.

Does what I've described sound at all similar to your issue? Does this noise happen even when you're not braking? If so, have a look at your brakes and see if maybe one of your calipers is sticking and braking when it shouldn't be.

Not saying this is definitely your problem or mine, but it's a possibility to look into.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #3

Garage
Front or rear ?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Thanks guys, the noise is at the right rear wheel. It is a constant noise when moving but is a little more noticeable when braking. The sound is a subdued "tinny" sound, that will increase slightly when braking. It is constant and sounds like a metallic deck of cards would if you had them on your bicycle wheel.

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombea View Post
Thanks guys, the noise is at the right rear wheel. It is a constant noise when moving but is a little more noticeable when braking. The sound is a subdued "tinny" sound, that will increase slightly when braking. It is constant and sounds like a metallic deck of cards would if you had them on your bicycle wheel.
Any chance that you may have added spacers and/or changed lug bolts ?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #6

Talking

No, all is stock. I am going out in the morning and jack up the rear and take my stethoscope and listen in various places to see if I can hear the noise.

Those who would like to take out insurance policies on me, please form a line to the right:-).

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #7

I couldn't find the noise so I am at a loss. I'm not sure how long it has been there because my top stays down for three seasons a year and I don't drive it in the rain. Since you can't hear it with the top down this could have been going on a long time.
If anyone has any other ideas I'm receptive.

I took it to a shop and they could hear it but could never find it. If anyone would like to hang out the trunk with a stethoscope and have a good insurance policy, let me know

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #8

Garage
I had a similar noise at the right rear wheel several months ago.
Noise would only occur at 30mph and above.

Ended up being the wheel bearing. Replaced it - noise gone.
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #9

Wheel noise

Im having similar problems... Started off with a cyclic light grinding noise that kept pace with wheel speed. Seemed to be comming from the right rear. Also had a pronounced grind when making a sharp left corner.

Brought it into the shop and after two attempts, including turning the rotors, the grinding went away.... Only to return 4 miles away from the shop.

I have 10" tires with no spacers, but no problems either for the 7k miles I've driven her.

I'm at a loss!
steveboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Here's a long shot - check the parking brake. When I replaced my rear rotors the inner parking brake surface of the new rotor must have been a few thousands of an inch smaller which created a cyclical scuffing sound from the parking brake shoe dragging on the inside of the rotor. A minor parking brake adjustment eliminated the noise.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #11

Have you considered the tire itself? I had a tire that developed a delam and would create a "bubble" while driving (due to the heat on the tire). The bubble was not huge enough to see plainly, but running my hand over the tire found it.
crumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Wheel noise

Well, after having the rotors Turned and still having some noise I pulled the wheel myself and listened for the cyclic noise... Still ther and lots of resistance spinning the rotor in the caliper... So I loosened the caliper and used the rotor for leverage to push the pistons back into their seats... And
Now after 70 miles or so no noise... I figure I have to pull the caliper and clean and lube the pistons To make a full repair. But the noise is gone for now...
steveboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveboot View Post
Well, after having the rotors Turned and still having some noise I pulled the wheel myself and listened for the cyclic noise... Still ther and lots of resistance spinning the rotor in the caliper... So I loosened the caliper and used the rotor for leverage to push the pistons back into their seats... And
Now after 70 miles or so no noise... I figure I have to pull the caliper and clean and lube the pistons To make a full repair. But the noise is gone for now...
if it was the pads rubbing that made the noise it doesnt make sense. i bet something was stuck between the pad and the rotor. a stone perhaps?
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #14

The garage called this afternoon and the wheel noise...........the tire. At last!
Thanks guys,

Tom

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue