Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

2nd gear question

i just bought a 2000 boxster it only has 50k miles on it, and recently 2nd gear has been really hard to get into, i have to force it into gear, and sometimes it will only go halfway back, its kind of hard to describe, but all my other gears are like butter shifting into (i recently had the linkage cable fixed because it had fallen out of my reverse gear). any ideas?
-thanks for the help

*sidenote - also whenever make a fast turn right of left, i hear a sort of crunch sound, but i think that was because my battery was moving around.

Noahvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahvel View Post
i just bought a 2000 boxster it only has 50k miles on it, and recently 2nd gear has been really hard to get into, i have to force it into gear, and sometimes it will only go halfway back, its kind of hard to describe, but all my other gears are like butter shifting into (i recently had the linkage cable fixed because it had fallen out of my reverse gear). any ideas?
-thanks for the help

*sidenote - also whenever make a fast turn right of left, i hear a sort of crunch sound, but i think that was because my battery was moving around.
If it started immediately after the linkage cable was fixed, then I would look at the linkage. If not, I would start with changing the gear oil, or at least, checking the level.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Most likely still a cable problem or a balky 2nd gear synchro.

If the symptom goes away or lessens as the engine warms up, then its not likely a cable. A cable problem will be relatively constant over temperature where as a synchro issue is usually most noticeable when the engine is cold.

Another way to check the synchro is to slow shift - clutch in and lift off throttle, then wait a moment and let the rev's drop to idle, then shift. If this helps, then its most likely the synchro.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #4

Garage
Worn front engine mount will make shifting more difficult & could be causing the noise you hear while cornering. If it has never been replaced with the new improved version you will notice positive results including better shifting.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

okay, thank you all!
Noahvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

BYprodriver wrote: "Worn front engine mount will make shifting more difficult & could be causing the noise you hear while cornering."

+1. My car made a grinding noise when cornering due to failed front engine mount.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #7

My 2000S exhibited the same symptoms as yours. The front motor mount was making clunking noises too. Replaced the motor mount and the shifting was much improved, not always perfect, but the 2nd gear synchro weakness is a known problem with Boxsters. The bad motor mount just aggravates it.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote