Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Car rocking at highway speed

I had posted a few months ago about the car doing this on the track coming out of one corner, but now the whole car rocks, or sways at highway speed?...., doesn't effect handling ,,,,just seems to rock one side to the other,,,,,,anyone else heard of this?

jakell2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakell2010 View Post
I had posted a few months ago about the car doing this on the track coming out of one corner, but now the whole car rocks, or sways at highway speed?...., doesn't effect handling ,,,,just seems to rock one side to the other,,,,,,anyone else heard of this?
The only time I have heard of this is you either have a bad shock or something bent on the suspension. If one cornere is off it will rock the car
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
The only time I have heard of this is you either have a bad shock or something bent on the suspension. If one cornere is off it will rock the car
Also any worn out suspension rubber bushing will cause this wobbling
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Also any worn out suspension rubber bushing will cause this wobbling
this is true but you would also feel that during slower speed operations especially when cornering
Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

And the winner is,,,,,,harrycb, everything is bent on the drivers rear,,,ultimately the wobbling is from a bad drivers rear wheel bearing,,,BUT it was caused by a previous "rigged" repair. When I bought the car I checked the car fax, and it was clean with 3 owners, there were some paint lines on the drivers door and I could see some signs of putty in the car, the rims were toast, all four were bent beyond simple repair.

We put the car on a lift and when you looked at the car from the rear, you could see a difference from left to right, at one time the car must've taken a direct hit to the drivers rear wheel. The lower control arm is bent, the control arm link was bent, and track arm were all bent , someone spray painted the subframe assembly.

So the bad bearing was caused by that wheel always "crabbing", I had the car aligned last year and they didn't say anything, but now to do it right , all the suspension components on that wheel need replacing ,

My tech, M-Tech in New Rochelle NY, is a great guy, he said I could source the parts from the cheapest place and he'd charge me the labor , it's 4-5 hrs to pull and press the bearing, and once that's out the other parts are just a bunch of nuts and bolts

Great guy if you need service in the Ny metro area he's the guy 914-355-2500

Thanks to everyone for there help, :ah:The saga continues

Last edited by jakell2010; 10-22-2011 at 08:10 AM.
jakell2010 is offline   Reply With Quote