Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

Solid Metal motor mount?

I just picked up an OEM motor mount to replace my failed one, but the rubber doesn't look anywhere near sufficient which I guess is why they fail so often. I'm thinking about sending it to my machine shop and having a solid metal bushing installed. Has anyone done this? Does it make the car miserable?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Depends on what level of NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) you find acceptable.

When my stock engine mount failed, I installed a semi-solid or "performance" motor mount which transmittted quite a bit of vibration from the engine to the chassis and cockpit. I was able to sit at a light and see the reflection in the rear-view and side mirrors vibrate. I would guess that a solid mount would be much worse.

For me, this level of vibration might be acceptable in a track-only car but not for my daily driver so I switched back to a stock motor mount (which I'll probably have to replace again in 50K miles).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

I was going to point you at Pedro's up-rated engine mounts, but it looks like they've been discontinued: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoMount.html
Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #4

Garage
A solid metal motor mount may cause problems with knock sensors. There was quite a ruckus about the semi solid ones (which I have) on another forum. The semi solid increases NVH a lot, a solid metal one would indeed be unbearable if it does not mess up the knock sensor.

I really like the Wevo mount, you might as well.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #5

Since the new stock mount has a large cavity on ether side I'm going to fill it will polyurethane and see how that goes. I've done it before on a BMW mount with success.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:36 AM   #6

Most people don't realize the amount of vibration the engine can transfer in a mid-engine configuration. There has been more people here switching to a race mount, realizes they feel the vibrations in their bones and went back to the 987 mount than I can count.

Even if you can stand it I don't think your girlfriend/wife will.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

I installed the old Pedro Race Mount a while back. It is essentially solid PU. While the initial feeling was WOW, this feels so tight, the enjoyment does seem to trail off with time.

The only downside I have experienced is that my car seems to have a LOT more rattles now than prior to the solid mount.

Also, and I am only speculating here, I think that it may have made the transmission mounts work harder and wear faster. Perhaps someone with greater technical knowledge of these things could confirm or refute this??
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 AM   #8

I have solid mounts (engine and trans) on the '73 911 and you wouldn't want it in a street car.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I just picked up an OEM motor mount to replace my failed one, but the rubber doesn't look anywhere near sufficient which I guess is why they fail so often. I'm thinking about sending it to my machine shop and having a solid metal bushing installed. Has anyone done this? Does it make the car miserable?
Maybe going by looks isn't the best measure.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Solid mount = unbearable + it will likely trigger the knock sensors and retard timing and performance.