Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I know the bridge well. I use to ride over it on my way the Bill Baggs Point !

Its also a great drive in the Box a little before sunset, top down or course.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Its also a great drive in the Box a little before sunset, top down or course.
Now that we've completely hijacked the thread (sorry) : ( , I see that you've had some Alfas in the past. I had one of the last commemorative edition Spider Veloce's imported to the US (#121 of 190).
Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Now that we've completely hijacked the thread (sorry) : ( , I see that you've had some Alfas in the past. I had one of the last commemorative edition Spider Veloce's imported to the US (#121 of 190).

Nice. Spiders are definitely going up in price, believe it or not.

The GTV6 is still my favorite of all the cars I've had. A real head turner, mostly because of its rarity. Man did that car handle. I remember flying through the hills above Berkeley, listening to the wondrous growl of the V6. Only 160 hp, but enough to get you in trouble.

Only downside was the bad synchros, which most alfas have. I did get very good at heal and toe double clutching and could downshift in any gear at any rpm.

It had Campagnolo wheels, so I would say to my cycling buddies "Yeah, you have a Campy group on your bike, but I have Campy wheels on my car!"
Alas, I crashed it.

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1993 Saab 9000

Last edited by san rensho; 09-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #24

Quote:
It is flat here. All we have is the "Alp du Rickenbacker", the bridge to Key Biscayne that goes up a whopping 90 feet. But we are fast. The training rides/races are always 25 mph+, many times 35 mph+ for some fairly long stretches.

Raced in southern Wisconsin and there were some short steep climbs that I miss, but at my age, not too much. I raced criteriums almost exclusively, which were usually pretty flat.

Where in Wisconsin? I live here and ride everywhere. The hills on the ironman course in Madison are steep and often, but Holy Hill area outside Milwaukee is pretty hilly. I also ride mountain bike at Kettle Moraine. Currently I ave 6 bikes and I am just as much a nut about bikes as cars.
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Nice. Spiders are definitely going up in price, believe it or not.

The GTV6 is still my favorite of all the cars I've had. A real head turner, mostly because of its rarity. Man did that car handle. I remember flying through the hills above Berkeley, listening to the wondrous growl of the V6. Only 160 hp, but enough to get you in trouble.

Only downside was the bad synchros, which most alfas have. I did get very good at heal and toe double clutching and could downshift in any gear at any rpm.

It had Campagnolo wheels, so I would say to my cycling buddies "Yeah, you have a Campy group on your bike, but I have Campy wheels on my car!"
Alas, I crashed it.
I had my Spider for less than a year, and sold it with only 2,200 miles on it . I couldn't take it any more ! The car was evil incarnate ! After the buyer drove away, I painted my house a different color and changed my phone number hoping to never see hide nor hair of it again !!!!!!! LOL !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #26

Quote:
I had my Spider for less than a year, and sold it with only 2,200 miles on it . I couldn't take it any more ! The car was evil incarnate ! After the buyer drove away, I painted my house a different color and changed my phone number hoping to never see hide nor hair of it again !!!!!!! LOL !

Alfas were notorious for having tons of problems when new, but the design was really good and after the dealer worked out all of the bugs, the cars were actually pretty reliable.

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1993 Saab 9000
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dude
Where in Wisconsin? I live here and ride everywhere. The hills on the ironman course in Madison are steep and often, but Holy Hill area outside Milwaukee is pretty hilly. I also ride mountain bike at Kettle Moraine. Currently I ave 6 bikes and I am just as much a nut about bikes as cars.
What a coincidence, I grew up in Whitewater, where Kettle Moraine is located. Never rode the mountain bike trails but I did cross-country ski there.

I went to college in Madison, where I got into bike racing. I rode for the Yellow Jersey bike shop for a couple of years. I wonder if people still do the Paoli ride and New Glarus rides anymore. Fun times.

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1993 Saab 9000
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #28
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Going back to the Box's mods, to me it seems to make the most sense to go for a computer retuning, as people seem to get the most benefit and enjoyment for the money spent, from what I've seen on here, better power delivery, a few horses to gain, and also improving the fuel economy (though you're more likely to be putting your foot down more often afterward, so you'll only benefit from that last one when you're driving nicely). Exhausts, depending on what you buy, can do anything from just sound nice to netting you a few horses (with the aforementioned tune ), but they'll also likely save you some weight and turn the rear trunk into less of a furnace (if you didn't know already, don't put anything in the rear trunk that doesn't like heat, it gets toasty in there).

On the intake side of things there's a lot of controversy over the effectiveness of an intake mod. Some say stick with the stock box and only remove the snorkel, others swear by their new intake box. That one's entirely up to you. Now beyond the airbox, the plumbing from there onward to the engine is fair game and worth the time without breaking the bank. It may not gain you gobs of power, but the delivery of the power you do have will be better.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #29

engine swap 3.4 or bigger 10k + - 100+hp gain
Turbo 10k + - 100+ hp gain
Underdrive pulley 150$ - 10 hp gain
IPD Plenum 900$ - 24hp midrange and 5hp on top
Headers and high flow cats 2k - 8-10hp gain
ecu tuning will move your power band around for 1k. if you go this route for a good tune call pedrosgarage.com There the best for boxsters right now.

My .02
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #30

Quote:
1. A comprehensive and methodical approach to revamping the exhaust system; i.e. headers, cats, cat back ect...
2. Light weight under drive pulley
3. Larger throttle body and plenum
4. ECU re-programming
5. Lighter wheels (a potentially faster and better performing vehicle by means of
reducing unsprung weight and rotational mass)
6. Reducing weight in general; i.e. spare tires, oem seats, lighter battery ect.. (this is
more aimed toward tracking your boxster .
7. Suspension upgrades (though not a direct increase in power, a faster vehicle can be
had by means of better handling and performance .
8. A divorce (reduction in weight by means of one less passenger)
and the list goes on ...........

I did #8 last year, best mod I ever did...