Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #1

Boxster vs 944

I need some opinions on whether to switch from my 99 Box. to a 944 as a DE car next year. I have had the Box. 3 years so I have a bit of an understanding of the car. It has been a great car and has preformed well. I have done all the susupension mods to it but I can just readajust everything and put it back on the street as a driver. It just seems to me that the 944 has the ability to produce more HP for a lot less money. Also they seem like they would be a bit less expensive to maintain. Balance wise the 944 is suppose to be as good or better, but I have never driven one. Also what would be the better choice, the 88/89 Turbo or the 89/91 944S? Is the turbo a bit problematic or have they proven to be somewhat dependable. This next car will be stripped out and never return to the road again. Help me out. Bill, Pgh, PA

wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Speaking from a recent incident in a solid roof car in which I slid on the roof for about 50 feet before coming to a stop, and walked away with a scrape on my knee, I will never run anything but a solid roof car at a track. The roll bar, racing seats, and 5-pt harness saved my life, but the roof kept my (helmeted) head from scraping against the road for the distance. The car was a flat line from the front end to the roll bar when the tow truck turned it back over.

My Boxster will never see the track again.

My advice is to go with the 944 with all the other safety equipment that it should have.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Most of the guys that I know are getting rid of their 944 track cars. Just not enough of them left. With Boxster Spec (both BSR race and BSX street versions) exploding in size due to the low price of the cars, the momentum is definitely away from the 944 and towards the Boxster.

There are several options for engine upgrades for your base '99 to get more power, but yes, they may be more expensive than the 944 bolt-on options but if you invest in a Boxster track car, there will be a much larger market for the car later when you want to sell it.

If you're worried about a rollover and want more protection without going full tilt and installing a cage, get a Brey Kraus roll bar extension. I'm adding one of these to my car and then going with 6 pt belts and a hans device in the next 60 days to improve safety at the track.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
It really just depends on what you want to do with it. Personally I would have no use for a dedicated DE car. A DE is non-competitive by design so going faster/ more hp seems somewhat pointless to me. No matter how fast you go, you cannot "win" a DE. You are just out there kicking your own azz. I live for the competition.

If you want to compete in Time Trials or club racing, choose a car with an active class and lots of cars to fill the grid. Boxster Spec and 944 Spec both have very active classes that run nationwide. Both of these cars can be set up with hard tops and full roll cage that protect the driver very well. Running in one of these classes is every bit as much fun as running Grand Am or ALMS at a fraction of the cost but any dedicated race car is a black hole for $$$.

Want to build an unlimited, high HP, TTOD, track car? You will get to share the grid with guys like Loren Beggs in his FrankenCayman. All tube frame, twin turbo, 3.8L, 1000hp, 2000lb rocket sled. His car is a $200K+ development platform for testing ideas that he adapts to racing customers of his shop. Sharing the grid with this beast is quite humbling for even a top driver in a GT3RSR Cup car.

Set your goals first: Track car for kicks and grins, TT weapon for regional/national championship, club racing series championship, etc. Once you have a clear goal in mind the car question is a lot easier to answer.

Most guys that feel they are getting bored with their cars are actually getting bored with a lack of competition. There is talk of a Boxster Spec national championship next year. My car is now fully developed to this class and turning top times. As long as the spacer between the seat and the steering wheel doesn't screw up I think I have a shot. Maybe we will see you at Boxster Spec nationals in 2012.

Last edited by Topless; 09-05-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

It would be easy for the top latch to fail and the top to peel away. Or for the aluminum hard top to simply wear until it becomes a hole. It's better than the soft top, but still not as resiliant as a steel panel.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote