Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Question Trickle Charger Recommendations?

We've got a 99 Boxter that we don't drive too often (side effect of having small children). I'd like to get a trickle charger for it.

Porsche makes some pretty expensive ones and I'm trying to figure out what the minimum specs should be and/or recommended brands/models. 12V? 0.75A or 1.25A? Also, for that model year, would the cigarette lighter adapter work, or do I need to connect directly to the battery? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

bitterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

By far, one of the best out there are the Ctek models. They make the units for Porsche, which you can buy much cheaper online as Ctek. All Ctek units have an auto de-sulfating step in their programming, which is critical to extending battery life. Many cheaper maintainers do not have this critical mode, so you do "get what you pay for" with a quality unit. Some of their models include the ability to recondition a severely discharged battery, and a constant power supply to hold electronic settings while disconnecting the battery. Nice units with a lot of features, and at a fair price.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterdave
We've got a 99 Boxter that we don't drive too often (side effect of having small children). I'd like to get a trickle charger for it.

Porsche makes some pretty expensive ones and I'm trying to figure out what the minimum specs should be and/or recommended brands/models. 12V? 0.75A or 1.25A? Also, for that model year, would the cigarette lighter adapter work, or do I need to connect directly to the battery? Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Don't buy a trickle charger, don't ask for a trickle charger, don't even think about a trickle charger. They keep feeding current to the battery all the time and eventually ruin it.

You need to buy a battery maintainer. These devices sense when the battery is no longer accepting a charge and turn off until the battery needs more charge. There's nothing special about the Porsche that requires a different maintainer than any other car. Just get a high quality one so that it will work as intended and you will be fine.

I've used battery tender jr's on several cars and have been satisfied.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #4

I second the battery tender Jr...0.75amps works well on the Porche installed Optima battery and the flooded batteries in bothe my Ducati and Triumph.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Hibernation

I know we are a ways from putting the boxters in hibernation, but this will be my first winter. If i put a battery tender on the battery, should you take the cables off the battery or just leave them on and turn the key off?
fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52
I know we are a ways from putting the boxters in hibernation, but this will be my first winter. If i put a battery tender on the battery, should you take the cables off the battery or just leave them on and turn the key off?
Most people leave it connected. The cigarette lighter tenders require it, obviously. It uses less energy to disconnect it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 AM   #7

Ctek

I've used the CTEK battery maintainer for the past three winters and it's worked great. I don't disconnect the battery and I use the cigarette lighter adapter. Makes for quick getaways when a nice day comes by. I bought the CTEK with "Porsche" on the front so I paid too much.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #8

You can buy the simple Porsche battery maintainer from Sunset for $47. I have 2 for the toys.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #9

Smile Thanks!

Thanks to all for the responses. Just place my order for a battery maintainer today.

Happy driving!

-Dave
bitterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I've used battery tender jr's on several cars and have been satisfied.

Just had to +1 this for anyone out there following this thread and for the original poster. I have a Deltran Battery Tender, Jr. that I use for all the vehicles we own, including my motorcycle. Worth the money, and not as expensive as it could be. You may have to buy the cig lighter adapater separately (got mine from Amazon), but it's cheap and worth it, as well.

Your car will thank you.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Boxster Abuser

I like the Deltran Battery Tender. About $75
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Found mine at a motorcycle gear shop for about $50 on sale, but even at $75 it's worth it.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #13

Garage
For those who are still in the market for a simple cost effective battery maintainer, I just picked up a Deltran Tender Junior complete with the cigarette lighter adapter
for $36.00 including shipping . It's virtually identical to the one Porsche offers for much less money .

Deltran Battery Tender Junior Charger 12V @ 0.75A Smart Maintainer - Xtreme Parts World
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

I can highly recommend the BatteryMinder:

BatteryMINDer® Plus 12 Volt 1.33 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Conditioner (Desulfator) | All | Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

I've used this since my last battery died and the new battery has been in perfect shape.

Eric

ericinca is offline   Reply With Quote