Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Ebay exhaust (pics/vid)

Hi All,

Just bought a Boxster and wanted to get some more aggresive tone to match the car. I did not want to drop too much cash for a "muffler" so I opted for the Ebay version.

Price: 350 USD
Sound: Awesome, see vid
Quality: Excellent welds, mounting points for both 2.5L and 2.7L
Weight: 7.0kg (half of stock)
Drone: Minimal
Performance gain: Probably 5-10bhp but mostly the sound is improved
Value: AWESOME!

Pics

Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofGZMxgQksM

Questions?

hallonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

Garage
Hey Hallonz,

The muffler sounds good, one thing though, you might want to find something to bend those tail pipes so they look even.

Reminds me of a pair of nipples on a bad boob job.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Hey Hallonz,

The muffler sounds good, one thing though, you might want to find something to bend those tail pipes so they look even.

Reminds me of a pair of nipples on a bad boob job.
Haha, good point I guess that's why they are cheap, but they do the job...kinda like the bad boob job?

I will fix that as soon as possible, got the car monday...installed the muffler yesterday so it hasn't been on the car for long ....I have seen people asking about the ebay exhausts and the sound in here, so I figured I might as well contribute.

It should be noted that I believe this to be a NHP knock off (which is probably a knock off of something else)....they claim a 10whp increase on a boxster S, dyno proven....this should give the same gains since the design is very similar. That would be a 4% increase.....which should scale just as well regardless of engine.... ?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Garage
To me that looks like the Deluboz v2 muffler or something like it. I have the first version. I was a huge fan, in fact still am. However, since I have removed all cats and gone with some ebay headers my car is very... rowdy as my friend put it. It sounds great just too loud, loud as in I can set off car alarms as I roll by at idle loud. But congrats I love the sound of them. and if you are interested in getting rid of your S OEM muffler let me know. and have fun with the new set of pipes.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #5

Thanks for posting this I just recently purchased a 2000 2.7L and I've been looking for a way to get some more sound out of her and the ebay mufflers look like the best bang for the buck. Can you tell me how long it took to install this muffler and does it come with all the necessary hardware?
1983 944 (gone)
gunnersfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

I don't know, the welds don't look great to me. I think I see pourosity and the beads look irregular.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersfan10
Thanks for posting this I just recently purchased a 2000 2.7L and I've been looking for a way to get some more sound out of her and the ebay mufflers look like the best bang for the buck. Can you tell me how long it took to install this muffler and does it come with all the necessary hardware?
Took 30 mins with a lift and an experienced mechanic (he also fixed/welded an exhaust leak at my headers). Since you do not need any special tools and can do this with a jack/jack stands I would probably say an hour....all depends on how stuck the old system is (and of course your own skill )....you may need to heat the bolts to be able to remove them, otherwise there is no hardware needed...the exhausts reuses the stock clamps and mounts to the existing bracket.

I drove around in my town today and must say - with the top down and flooring it this exhaust is LOUD....I like
Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #8

i can not wait to put mine on next week . the tail pipes are a little out of align on mine too. i used two 1.5 inch blocks by 15 or so inches and tweaked them into alignment.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #9

The welds actually look very good on this exhaust.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #10

Garage
Holy kimchi ! I should get some kind of an award or recognition from the Chinese Trade Union for introducing these Charlie Chan mufflers to the forum !!!

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-19-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Holy kimchi ! I should get some kind of an award or recognition from the Chinese Trade Union for introducing these Charlie Chan mufflers to the forum !!!

Ok....

I didn't find these mufflers through this forum though, would a pat on the back suffice?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 AM   #12

Aren't those mufflers and headers made "in Taiwan"? For sure not made in China as I've been looking/asking everyone here and everybody in the business tells me they are from Taiwan. They in indeed the best given their low cost!
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallonz
Ok....

I didn't find these mufflers through this forum though, would a pat on the back suffice?
Yeah, but a lot of the others did . Just ask Charlie !
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods
Aren't those mufflers and headers made "in Taiwan"? For sure not made in China as I've been looking/asking everyone here and everybody in the business tells me they are from Taiwan. They in indeed the best given their low cost!
Taiwan=China, it's complicated....

And yeah, all things cheap are made in Asia....maybe it's all "China" for an American :P....doesn't necessarily mean it's poor quality though.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #15

Ahhhh ASIA!!! Yea man that’s right! Where stuff can be bought MINUS the GOV (local, state & national)’s high taxes, VAT, Dept of Transport, pattern fees, trademark cost, overpriced manufacturing equipment and rent, high electricity and other energy bills, lazy & union-backed staff, company & resources‘ apocalyptic insurance policies, trendy sales & marketing cost, exorbitant packaging & shipping cost…. Not to mention that most metals are governed in the west (stocks, shares, etc…). Did I missed any?!

No **************** eh… if any ever wondered why we are being charge in the 4 digits price range anywhere else for those little, in fact techno-less, mufflers
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #16

Paid $299 on eBay shipping included,bought on a Tuesday and arrived 4 days-later.Took hour half to install with bumper on.
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #17

Racedesignimport is the company on eBay .
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #18

Got the same ones. And their headers. All excellent quality. Welds are professional.

Light as hell, though so might not last forever but at that price, who cares.
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #19

I bought the headers and exhaust yesterday. So ill post a video when i get them installed
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #20

Looking forward to this weekend when I install the CC muffler. Old Dan Gerous's life hangs in the balance....we will see....

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote