Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #21

Klimo -

what size are your tires? depending on stagger, you have some options.

if you need more static camber, the best place to start IMO is to lower the car. this automatically adds camber at all four corners. after that, the best options are either camber plates or GT3 style control arms.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #22

Camber

Insite as usual has got this exactly right. The only thing I'd add is that 1 degree isn't necessarily too much for street tires (or any other tire for that matter) if your suspension is really soft. As the car rolls, the suspension compresses and the geometry changes. As the suspension compresses, camber typically decreases (more negative) (although this is not the case with typical MacPherson struts). Let's say that the stock setup adds 1 degree of negative camber for every 2 inches of compression, which occurs at 1 g.

If the stock setup has 4 degrees of roll per g, then the outside wheel might develop positive camber despite the suspension compressing (you've seen pictures of Boxsters with positive camber on the outside wheel). After all, -1 degree plus 4 degrees of positive roll gives +3 degrees of camber.

Stiffen the suspension to 2 degrees of roll per g and set the car up with 2 degrees of camber static and the story changes: at 1 g, the outside tire is now vertical to the pavement, giving an optimal contact patch. Lower the car, and the roll center falls, increasing the roll rate further.

One final note: static camber is properly set by measuring tire temperatures at the track. If the outside edge is running hotter than the inside edge, then you need more negative camber.

My 50% stiffened 944 Turbo ran 0.8 degrees of static camber in the front with a 1.8 degree per g roll rate. I have yet to get the Boxster out on track.

hcj986s is offline   Reply With Quote