Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Garage
Negative camber - plates, springs or what?

I ordered my 2002 Boxster S with M-030 suspension - American, not ROW, as not available in US. As I have tracked the car over the years I have always been cording the outside edges of the Michelin Sport Cups, which wear twice as fast as the rears, as a result of lack of negative camber. The car is also my daily driver, however. I need to get more negative camber into the front suspension. I'm a fairly good "shade-tree mechanic, but have no access to a lift or special tools. It appears i I have 3 options and would like to get opinions.
1.) Least expensive - buy camber plates and install myself to get another 1.0 to 1.25 degrees negative camber. $350 if I do it myself. How hard?
2.) More expensive - buy ROW M-030 springs or H&R for $450, and have them installed by mechanic for another $600-$1000 depending on who does it. This would lower the car's center of gravity, get another 1.0 degree negative camber, and probably be a better handling solution for the track.
3.) More expensive yet - Camber plate AND springs. Should be great on the track, but is camber plate necessary for this ?
4.) Too expensive, I think - buy springs ($450) and GT3 adjustable arms ($980) and have them installed by mechanic (another $1000). This is WAY out of my price range, I'm afraid.

Any and all comments and experience would be welcome. I need to do things quickly, as track season is here, and Michelins are not getting any cheaper.
TIA
Eric

espooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

I went the cheapo route and installed Eibach lowering springs
They gave me -1.75 in the front and -2.25 in the rear
You will need adjustable rear toe arms though

And as coincidence strikes, I just posted these springs in the classifieds....

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote