Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #41

Johnny,
The headers with 100 cell cats are very free flowing and when combined with the secondary delete and the muffler, there was not engough backpressure.

Low end torque was fine with the cat deletes and muffler, the headers where the problem. replaceing the OEM muffler fixed the issues, and it is easier to change than the headers.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Johnny,
The headers with 100 cell cats are very free flowing and when combined with the secondary delete and the muffler, there was not engough backpressure.

Low end torque was fine with the cat deletes and muffler, the headers where the problem. replaceing the OEM muffler fixed the issues, and it is easier to change than the headers.
Is the m22 ss a basic bolt on for the non s cars or will there need to be some modified install done?I got a shop that will do the install for $200 as long as it doesn't get complicated.
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #43

bolts right up. Taking off the OEM is the time consuming part. Some people do it without taking off the bumper. Tried that once, have the knuckle scars to prove it. Its possiable, but taking off the bumper will save time.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Johnny,

I agree with you in so far as 100 cell cats are a bit too free flowing for street applications . Moreover, the ecu has to be re-mapped in order to avoid CEL's, and keep the vehicle OBD II compliant . With that said, the combination of a freer flowing cat-back , along with deletion of the secondary cats, in my experience reduced back pressure to the extent that low end and mid range torque suffered . This deficiency was remedied by switching to 200 cell cats, along with some exhaust reconfiguring .
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #45

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Since I am keeping the stock header and cat configuration, I wonder if I will experience 'de-tuning' with the Charlie Chan muffler and my secondary cat delete pipes? Would make the case for adding the secondary cats again with the CC muffler to eliminate loss of backpressure and consequent 'de-tuning'?

AKL
The short answer is no . Both the oem muffler and secondary cats are very restrictive . The Charlie Chan muffler should increase flow a bit, at the same time maintain effective back pressure, and provide better sound (subjective) .
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
If anything is causing a loss of low end and midrange torque in Jhandy's vehicle, it's the 100 cell cats. In the past, I experimented with different cell counts. And the use of 100 cell cats resulted in a loss of back pressure; especially when they were located mid stream.
Good call. Afterall no one can explain why the Maxspeed cats have side-entries instead of a straight design. I've never seen that on any other aftermarket performance cats period.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #47

Quote:
The short answer is no . Both the oem muffler and secondary cats are very restrictive . The Charlie Chan muffler should increase flow a bit, at the same time maintain effective back pressure, and provide better sound (subjective) .

This leads me to ask, what exhaust system did you end up with and did it require a new chip program in order to make it all work?

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
This leads me to ask, what exhaust system did you end up with and did it require a new chip program in order to make it all work?

AKL

I stuck with the principles of the oem header/pre-cat configuration by having M&M Exhaust in Germany custom fabricate a set of headers and cats using longer, 2 1/2" diameter equal length primaries that flow into a merger collector with HJS 200 cell tri-metal cats. The muffler is a custom cat-back with 2 1/2" diameter inlets and 3" outlets from 9ff, along with secondary cat deletes . It was a tremendous improvement over the oem system; albeit a very expen$ive one . And the sound is just ripping ! Almost to the extent of the Fabspeed race exhaust .

p.s. I did have the ecu re-programmed, however, it was not required .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-13-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #49

Ok ordered off eBay $299 free shipping .
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #50

Quote:
That is video is not my muffler, rather a video of someone else with the same muffler that I had. Alan, You are correct in your previous statement.

With the OEM headers and OEM cats, the farting was like you heard on the video, there but not that bad. When I put on the headers and took off the secondary cats, The sound was embarrassing. The awesome sound was always followed by a "PFFFFST" sound that bugged me.

On top of that, When I sent my car to Jake for the IMS replacement, He confirmed that with the headers and cat delete pipes and the muffler, the car de-tuned and retarded the timing because of low back pressure.

He advised me to put on the OEM muffler, and leave the rest. In doing that, I noticed better fuel economy and more low end power, but a wimpy sound.
Do you guys know how to determine if the timing is being retarted, and the car de-tuned/ in limp mode?

Is this possible to tell with Durametric?

Thanks in advance!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #51

Garage
I must be responsible for at least 3 or 4 members buying this Charlie Chan exhaust . I'm almost deserving of a commission !
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #52

Quote:
I must be responsible for at least 3 or 4 members buying this Charlie Chan exhaust . I'm almost deserving of a commission !
..or condemnation and subsequent boiling in used 5-40 weight...??? All depends on how the sound works out and how SWMBO takes to the sound. She lives with me and I know where you live. And to hell with the microfilm, I have all the ammo and extra magazines... 25 June, day of reckoning when the CC muffler gets installed.

We will see AKL :dance: :dance:
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #53

Quote:
You'll first have to get past my bodyguards !!

....or die trying.....!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

AKL
Old 06-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoeeboxster
Has anyone put this on there car???
I've had this on my car for 3+ years. I was Che's (Deluboz) test user when he was the first to import them.

Between 2-3k rpm, the cabin resonance can be deafening, especially with the top up in stop and go traffic.

Now with the top down it sounds glorious and with a helmet on and the top up and windows down at the track it really helps to hear when you should shift instead of looking down. That's why I haven't removed it. That and the fact I don't have cash to put on anything different right now.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #55

Garage
Between 2-3k rpm, the cabin resonance can be deafening, especially with the top up in stop and go traffic.

Yikes ! Don't say that, AKL will end up with a Restraining Order against him !!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #56

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I just value my hearing and want to guard against nerve deafness. Seriously.

Last thing I want to do is screw up my hearing because my muffler had too much resonance between 2-3k rpm!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #57

Fed ex just dropped off the m2 ss cat back and I'll have it installed Monday morning.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #58

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoeeboxster
Fed ex just dropped off the m2 ss cat back and I'll have it installed Monday morning.

What about my commission ?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #59

Quote:
What about my commission ?

I hope it sounds as good as it looks.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #60

post a sound clip

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote