986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Fabspeed Exhaust -- Too Loud? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/28342-fabspeed-exhaust-too-loud.html)

Cool_Capybara 04-02-2011 05:02 PM

Fabspeed Exhaust -- Too Loud?

:ah:

Yes, I know...I never thought I'd hear myself saying that my exhaust is too loud either. From what I've read, no one else has seemed to think Fabspeed makes an excessively loud muffler either -- so I feel even more gimpy.

I had a Fabspeed Maxflow system bolted in along with their cold air filter. The feel is great...the sound quality is nice...but at any point in time when acceleration is occurring, the radio can no longer be clearly heard, and conversation is difficult. I know my girlfriend is not going to like what I've done when she next sits in it.

The sound is fine for the right mood, but on a normal basis, extended exposure is going to result in a headache...either from the sound, or the complaining passenger. And I even have the hard top on currently. The place that installed it says they double checked to make sure there were no gaps in the installation.

Has anyone had any experience with either a silencer or somehow adding a functional soundproofing to the interior?

Thanks for any advice!

yoyo7 04-02-2011 05:18 PM

Cool,

That's a bummer... last thing you want is a headache when you take the car out for a drive!

I have the Fabspeed exhaust on my Boxster and the Growl is much louder when you punch the pedal. Big difference vs the OEM for sure...

I guess it boils down to the "eye" or in this case the "ear" of the beholder.

I really like the throaty GRRRROOOOOOOWWWWLLL.

CVstarBoxster 04-02-2011 05:31 PM

that's too bad

but for the right price, I'd be willing to take it off your hands. :)

ekam 04-02-2011 05:56 PM

I think the noise is probably from your cold air intake which is right next to your ear.

jaykay 04-18-2011 01:55 PM

hmmm...I didnt get one because I thought they were too muted for my tastes but I only heard it on the outside of the car.

Johnny Danger 04-18-2011 06:03 PM

Bottle up all of your drone and send it to me !!! The louder and more aggressive the sound is, the better. In fact, as of late, I've grown bored of my aftermarket exhaust, which incidentally, has a very race oriented sound, and I'm thinking of doing something drastic like swapping it out for a full on race exhaust . Then I'll back up to the front door of the nearest vegan cafe and let it rip ! :cool:

CVstarBoxster 04-18-2011 06:25 PM

Jd

if you're serious, I may interested in your used set.

Johnny Danger 04-19-2011 06:38 AM

It won't be cheap . It's a custom one off cat back from 9ff - complete with bypass pipes. It produces great sound that's not too aggressive .

teamwenz 04-19-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
It won't be cheap .

Nothing good in life ever is. Kind of like cheap wine, if that's all you know it's not so bad. But get some good stuff and "How did we drink this swill"

manolo 04-19-2011 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=I'm thinking of doing something drastic like swapping it out for a full on race exhaust . Then I'll back up to the front door of the nearest vegan cafe and let it rip ! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Vegan cafe!! That's hilarious!

jacabean 04-21-2011 04:14 AM

i have been thinking about the fabspeed exhaust (cat back) but i like the price of the maxspeed exhaust better. after reading all the posts on exhaust i am left feeling very confused. Drone , resonance , decreased power , too loud, not loud enough at this point i'm like WTF ! I just want the car to sound slightly more aggressive it's just to muted with the factory silencer .
i could do without check engine lights , obsessive drone , loss of power and not need a loan to purchase.

Johnny Danger 04-21-2011 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacabean
i have been thinking about the fabspeed exhaust (cat back) but i like the price of the maxspeed exhaust better. after reading all the posts on exhaust i am left feeling very confused. Drone , resonance , decreased power , too loud, not loud enough at this point i'm like WTF ! I just want the car to sound slightly more aggressive it's just to muted with the factory silencer .
i could do without check engine lights , obsessive drone , loss of power and not need a loan to purchase.

Here's an exhaust worth considering @ $270.00 . Its stainless steel, appears to have good welds, appropriate all around pipe diameters, and nice design. It's probably the exact same catback that's being sold under a number of different names with prices ranging from $270 to $500 . At that price , if for some reason you don't like it, you can turn it into a bird feeder .

http://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-45213-m2-ss-exhaust-system-for-97-04-porsche-boxster-s-986.aspx

jacabean 04-21-2011 06:07 AM

that looks like the one i see all over ebay for 400 to 500 . for 270 i might give it a try .

Johnny Danger 04-21-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

that looks like the one i see all over ebay for 400 to 500 . for 270 i might give it a try .

You are correct Sir .
p.s. Any word on the whereabouts of the Roock boxster ?

jacabean 04-21-2011 11:05 AM

i don't know what happened with the car i guess someone bought it . when i look at pictures of it i want to cry. that thing was such a badass. it just was not worth the headaches if i want to go fast i got the Evo x . after a drive in the evo my 3.2 feels like a civic . i still think the boxster is a better car , actually much better.

yellowboxster01 04-22-2011 03:10 PM

I have the Fabspeed exhaust also and in comparison to some of the other garbage exhausts I’ve had, it’s the best up next to PSE. The Fabspeed is music to my ears.

You could have a baffle system made or make it yourself. I’ve got a pic somewhere of what I’m talking about.

What you’re hearing and not liking is resonance. I don’t think the Fabspeed is bad at all. My dad put a Tubi exhaust on his GT and the resonance between 1500-2000rpm’s was really bad. Having the windows up in the car made your ears hurt it was so bad. He had a guy design these baffles for his “megaphone” tips. Night and day difference. The car has the stock interior sound with a beast outside.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...ubiExhaust.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...flesFordGT.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...ubiBaffles.jpg

jacabean 04-23-2011 04:27 AM

have you ever used the chinese cheapo ?

yellowboxster01 04-23-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

have you ever used the chinese cheapo ?

Me? Yes, I have owned one of those deblowz or whatever they're called. It had the same resonance as the Stebro Race and GHL.

The quietest exhausts I've had were stock, Schnell sausage, and Dansk. Although the Dansk is no different than a stock muffler. And most of the exhaust setups are just the muffler. When I bought my Fabspeed it came with cat delete pipes also. I will say the Fabspeed is pricey but I would've saved a ton of money had I just went with the best, first.

I know a guy who has the B&B and he said there's no resonance otherwise his wife wouldn't ride with him.

ocoeeboxster 06-11-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Here's an exhaust worth considering @ $270.00 . Its stainless steel, appears to have good welds, appropriate all around pipe diameters, and nice design. It's probably the exact same catback that's being sold under a number of different names with prices ranging from $270 to $500 . At that price , if for some reason you don't like it, you can turn it into a bird feeder .

http://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-45213-m2-ss-exhaust-system-for-97-04-porsche-boxster-s-986.aspx

Has anyone put this on there car???

Johnny Danger 06-11-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocoeeboxster
Has anyone put this on there car???

There's one member on the forum who recently purchased one, and he's in the process of installing it . If you send me a pm, I'll forward you his contact info .