Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 5
buying advice / Real Kw/HP on a Boxster S

Dear members,

I had a look in the topics posted before and since I couldn't find the answer to my question, I decided to do my very 1st post.

At the moment I don't have a Porsche but I'm very keen to get one. During my search I came across to a 2004 Boxster S with 38,000Km on the clock in very good conditions but after an independent assessment (http://www.acl.lu/fr/Club/Prestations-ACL/Diagnostic-Center) a dyno check showed only 167KW (228CV). Although the acceleration was pretty linear, Iím surprised because that model should have 191KW.

The seller mentioned that this is normal because the Dyno might be inaccurate and there was no fan in front of the car during the test. He also said that many cars donít really have the advertised KW. To make things even more interesting, a very small leak of oil and water was detected as well.

On the positive side, the independent assessor believes that the car was in the shop floor for a while because the battery was not too strong and the break discs were a bit rusty. He also believed that the car was driven by a gentle person and for that reason the engine KW output is below expectations.
Dear members, I'm desperate for your thoughts. The questions are:
1) What is the real KW or HP for Boxsters S?
2) Could the low KW output be somehow related to the way the previous owner drove the car?
3) Would you still consider this car if that was for you?

Many thanks!

uk.agoliveira@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk.agoliveira@gmail.
Dear members,

I had a look in the topics posted before and since I couldn't find the answer to my question, I decided to do my very 1st post.

At the moment I don't have a Porsche but I'm very keen to get one. During my search I came across to a 2004 Boxster S with 38,000Km on the clock in very good conditions but after an independent assessment (http://www.acl.lu/fr/Club/Prestations-ACL/Diagnostic-Center) a dyno check showed only 167KW (228CV). Although the acceleration was pretty linear, Iím surprised because that model should have 191KW.

The seller mentioned that this is normal because the Dyno might be inaccurate and there was no fan in front of the car during the test. He also said that many cars donít really have the advertised KW. To make things even more interesting, a very small leak of oil and water was detected as well.

On the positive side, the independent assessor believes that the car was in the shop floor for a while because the battery was not too strong and the break discs were a bit rusty. He also believed that the car was driven by a gentle person and for that reason the engine KW output is below expectations.
Dear members, I'm desperate for your thoughts. The questions are:
1) What is the real KW or HP for Boxsters S?
2) Could the low KW output be somehow related to the way the previous owner drove the car?
3) Would you still consider this car if that was for you?

Many thanks!
According to the Porsche manual its supposed to put out 185kw at the flywheel which means you will loose approx 15% through the drivetrain and it will be around 157 kw so it's right in line with where it should be. My biggest concern is the oil leak. Where is is leaking from. If it's coming out where the transmission mates to the engine, you could be facing some serious problems. Most likeley the Rear Main Oil Seal (RMS) has a leak but it could also come from the Intermediate Shaft Seal (IMS) which is a more serious problem. They both can be fixed but if you can't do it yourself it will cost you!!! Check out this forum for more information.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/boxster/boxster_tech.htm
So if the price was right or the owner is willing to repair the oil leak(s) properly then go for it mate
Cheers
Harry
__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 5
Tks!

@ Harryrcb

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

The garage is aware of the leaks and they should be repaired before I buy - just need to discuss the price now... Let's see... I am sort of ok because the car will come with one year warranty.

I'm very excited about this car but I need to hold my horses and take the decision with my mind not with my heart

Thanks for mentioning the RMS and IMS issues. I will go through the messages in the Forum.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited by uk.agoliveira@gmail.; 02-21-2011 at 08:23 AM.
uk.agoliveira@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk.agoliveira@gmail.
@ Harryrcb

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

The garage is aware of the leaks and they should be repaired before I buy - just need to discuss the price now... Let's see... I am sort of ok because the car will come with one year warranty.

I'm very excited about this car but I need to hold my horses and take the decision with my mind not with my heart

Thanks for mentioning the RMS and IMS issues. I will go through the messages in the Forum.

Cheers,

Alex
Very wise to leave your emotions at home but almost impossible to accomplish, I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavor to obtain a Porsche. If you decide to get it, of course let us all know, but if the shop said they will fix it make sure that it's actully getting done.
good luck mate
Cheers
Harry
__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,360
Leaks of oil and water

troubles me. One or the other is usually fixable. But both means there are two problems or there is a serious problem. Examine the fill tanks in the trunk of the car and see if the fluids are intermixed with each other. Any coffee looking foam? There is an water/oil heat exchanger that is known to sometimes fail. Or it could be a major problem inside the block or heads. Still fixable but expensive and how they fix it and what other damage was done can determine the longevity of the car. Or it could be a simple oil leak and water tank cap problem with the cap replacement fixing the problem.

This is a case where I wouldn't buy that car without an independent Porsche mechanic with a wonderful reputation for understanding the internals of the engine inspecting the engine and running lots of tests.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
troubles me. One or the other is usually fixable. But both means there are two problems or there is a serious problem. Examine the fill tanks in the trunk of the car and see if the fluids are intermixed with each other. Any coffee looking foam? There is an water/oil heat exchanger that is known to sometimes fail. Or it could be a major problem inside the block or heads. Still fixable but expensive and how they fix it and what other damage was done can determine the longevity of the car. Or it could be a simple oil leak and water tank cap problem with the cap replacement fixing the problem.

This is a case where I wouldn't buy that car without an independent Porsche mechanic with a wonderful reputation for understanding the internals of the engine inspecting the engine and running lots of tests.
Yep, I understand your point. I wish I could count on a independent Porsche mechanic with that sort of skill set but that's not the case here where I live. I decided to go ahead and if all goes well in 2 weeks time will have my 1st Porsche

One year warranty will come together with the car stating (in the contract) that the problems spotted by the independent assessor will be addressed - at least it would be helpful in case legal action is required (hope not!)

I am going on holidays for 2 weeks and will get the car when I'm back - at least a good reason to get back home...

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited by uk.agoliveira@gmail.; 02-22-2011 at 01:19 PM.
uk.agoliveira@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
Very wise to leave your emotions at home but almost impossible to accomplish, I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavor to obtain a Porsche. If you decide to get it, of course let us all know, but if the shop said they will fix it make sure that it's actully getting done.
good luck mate
Cheers
Harry
yep, you're right... not easy at all!

I decided to go for that and should sign the contract tomorrow at this time. they'll fix the problems and one year warranty should bring me some piece (hopefully!)

Thanks for your words Harry, I'm really excited about it and keen to read loads of stuff about Boxsters. In 2 or 3 weeks time I should post some pics and a few more questions.

Cheers,

Alex
uk.agoliveira@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Crazy Austrian
 
harryrcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk.agoliveira@gmail.
yep, you're right... not easy at all!

I decided to go for that and should sign the contract tomorrow at this time. they'll fix the problems and one year warranty should bring me some piece (hopefully!)

Thanks for your words Harry, I'm really excited about it and keen to read loads of stuff about Boxsters. In 2 or 3 weeks time I should post some pics and a few more questions.

Cheers,

Alex
It sounds like you have it under control. Congratulations, you will not regret it. You will enjoy driving the car. you will be looking for excuses to take it for a ride.
Have fuh
Cheers
Harry

__________________
Crazy Austrian 007
http://www.ws-ab.com
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page