Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #1

Won't even try to start. Security system?

When I first got my boxster sometimes when I turned the key nothing would happen(no noises nothing). Then on the second try it would start. This morning no mattter how many times I tried nothing happened. No celinood click, the engine doesn't even try and turn over. Any ideas? Is there a way to jump the clutch switch or does this like more of a security system problem?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 AM   #2

Sounds like the solenoid is bad or the clutch pedal switch. I assume the battery is to par.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #3

Yes you can jump clutch

to jump clutch...

look for brown two pole plug at the top of the clutch pedal. Pull plug off and jump a wire between contacts.

Having said that, something in your post doesn't seem right...
When you turn key to on position do radio, warning lights & other electronics turn on? If not, issue might be electrical portion of ignition switch (a very common problem w/ a 15min DIY R&R w/ a $30 part locally or $10 via web at ************************************************************ ) Can provide more details link if needed...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #4

I jumped the clutch switch with no luck. I'm leaning toward the ignition switch. Lately the radio has been staying on sporadically when I turn the car off and sometimes turns off when I turn the car on. Odd, but it could be a symptom of a failing ignition switch. Just a guess. I'm picking one up locally this afternoon I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Start with the basics: Be sure that the battery is good before you go chasing other things. Strange electrical gremlins can start to pop up when the battery is on the way out. Ask me how I know.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Sure sounds like the ignition switch.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

I'll ditto that. I'm on my third switch. His car is even the same color as mine.

Tip: Buy two and keep a spare with the car. After you have done it once, it gets easier to do. You never know when it will come in handy. Nothing like having it go out again, far away from home. I keep one in the tool kit with the shorty screwdriver together in a plastic bag. Beats getting towed/flat bedded back home or to a shop.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #8

It turned out to be the ignition switch, thank god. Here are a couple take aways.

1. Like Spinnaker said keep an extra one of these things in your car if no other reason then being able to fix your stranded car while people watch you pull the replacement part out of your a$$.

2. Use a jewelry screw driver! I used several small mechanics screw drivers with no luck. I filed them down shortened them and struggled for about 15 minutes. Once my neighbor lent me a jewelry screw driver it took two seconds.

3. Don’t unscrew the screws enough to extrude pass the housing (you'll know what I'm talking about when you look at it) and what ever you do don't take them all the way out.

4. You don't need to unhook your battery, I forgot to unhook mine, ever forget? It happened to me.

5. I didn't take my seat out and I'm 6' 3"

6. Have your title ready for the cop who asks you why your ripping the ignition out of a Porsche that’s parallel parked on the road.

Thanks for your help guys
Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #9

I was there drinking Miller Lite the whole time and I can vouch that once truegearhead got that girly, I mean jewelry, screw driver he had that switch in and out in a few seconds. His girlfriend also confirmed thats his typical duration as well. Women and cars...
ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #10

yeah wish I ha an extra - in Nebraska and it's time for it. had one overnighted and it should be waiting for me in Denver. anyone in Denver have an itty-bitty screwdriver?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDirtyThirty
I was there drinking Miller Lite the whole time and I can vouch that once truegearhead got that girly, I mean jewelry, screw driver he had that switch in and out in a few seconds. His girlfriend also confirmed thats his typical duration as well. Women and cars...
True, did she tell you it normally costs my 29 dollars as well.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
anyone in Denver have an itty-bitty screwdriver?
Originally Posted by tonycarreon

I know a guy in Richmond with a Blue Boxster that has an itty-bitty screwdriver...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon

I know a guy in Richmond with a Blue Boxster that has an itty-bitty screwdriver...
"Once my neighbor lent me a jewelry screw driver it took two seconds."

clever fail... the whole point was I didn't have one.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #14

The only fail in here was that fuster cluck of an attempt to quote two other posts in your last post.

Last edited by ReallyDirtyThirty; 08-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
The only fail in here was that fuster cluck of an attempt to quote two emails in your last post.
You mean posts there buddy.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #16