Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Question Carrera lightweights

I have a question for you guys. I have a set of 8" & 10" Carrera light weight spoke wheels in 18". They all need to be refurbished as every one of them has been slightly bent. A wheel repair place over in Danbury CT says they can be straightened and repainted and will be good as new. Since I have decided not to exchange my 17" wheels I am interested in possibly selling them. I could either sell them as is and let the buyer have them repaired and painted to their specs or have them done over and then put them up for sale. Any input or suggestions? This wheel repair outfit was set up over at Danbury Porsche at last years open house and Danbury uses them for their wheel repair so I imagine they are legit. There is another place in Bath NY that does a dynamite job too but I would have to ship them to and fro whereas I can drive them over to Danbury. Danbury Porsche recommends them. Thanks in advance,

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

Cool Carrera Lightweights

Hello Allen,
Depends how badly bent they are? how much would you want for them if you decide to sell them as is? can you provide photos ?
might be interested.
thx,
t2
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #3

I would prefer to have a local pickup and I don't know what would be involved in shipping to Canada. Also the place is in Bath PA not NY as I previously stated. Bends are just from hitting potholes, no cracks. I will post pics if I can figure out the pic posting process, it still escapes me or I could send the photos to another member who could then post them. Thinking of $100 each as is.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #4

If they're authentic I would straighten them at least. Leave the buyer to refinish them because he/she might want to go for a different color/finish.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #5

If they bent just from hitting potholes

then why would you pay to straighten them which may well weaken them too?

Straighten them, put back on, drive under the same conditions --> same result.

Maybe you need heavier, stronger wheels where you live.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
then why would you pay to straighten them which may well weaken them too?

Didn't know fixing these would weaken them? Wonder why so many do it if it leaves an unsafe situation? Wouldn't these companies be very liable?

Straighten them, put back on, drive under the same conditions --> same result.

I didn't bend them if that is what you mean. Any deep pothole will dent a low profile wheel. These came from NJ. No potholes there, eh?

Maybe you need heavier, stronger wheels where you live.
Again, if you mean me, see the above.

Congrats on your contribution to the "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster" that Wayne Dempsey has just published. Great book with good illustrations.

AKL
Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #7

Garage
I am interested in buying the wheels AS-IS & I would like to see good detailed pics of the bent/damaged areas & If you spin the wheels on a wheel balancer as if you are balancing them it will indicate the amount of imbalance in ounces & location on the wheel. Mark the inner & outer edge of the rim with the weight required to rebalance the wheel to show actual degree of imperfection . I would prefer to have repairs done locally by me to eliminate the middleman for warranty claims.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
I am interested in buying the wheels AS-IS & I would like to see good detailed pics of the bent/damaged areas & If you spin the wheels on a wheel balancer as if you are balancing them it will indicate the amount of imbalance in ounces & location on the wheel. Mark the inner & outer edge of the rim with the weight required to rebalance the wheel to show actual degree of imperfection . I would prefer to have repairs done locally by me to eliminate the middleman for warranty claims.

BY, I may have a local buyer which would be better as I don't want to get involved with packing and shipping. If that falls through I may get back to you. Thanks for your interest.

AKL