Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lincolnshire UK
Posts: 12
Very little brake

Its -10 degrees here in the UK and my Boxster brakes are not working?
The brake pedal is very hard under foot and the brakes are only 10% working which is obviously a concern.
Has anyone got any ideas?
J60SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,546
when was the last time the fluid was flushed? It should be done every 2 years - more often if vehicle is tracked...
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lincolnshire UK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
when was the last time the fluid was flushed? It should be done every 2 years - more often if vehicle is tracked...
The fluid was changed about 14 months ago?
This problem only occures at below freezing point?
J60SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 769
Does the breaking performance improve as you drive a bit?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like there is moisture in the brake fluid that is freezing. A fluid flush should fix this.
__________________
98 Arena Red 986

2010 e61 535 "TTWAGON"
Stroked & Blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lincolnshire UK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
Does the breaking performance improve as you drive a bit?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like there is moisture in the brake fluid that is freezing. A fluid flush should fix this.
Not in this weather, only if the temperature outside warms up?
I would tend to agree that there may be moisture somewhere that is frezzing with the climate. I would have thought that if moisture got into the brake fluid it would tend to give a sponge effect on the brake pedal which it doesn't.
I will try a full flush when we get a spell over frezzing point.
Thank you for your advice
J60SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by J60SON
I will try a full flush when we get a spell over frezzing point.
YIKES

Not only for your safety but more importantly for the other innocent drivers/pedestrians out there, get the fluid flush done ASAP before you drive the car on public roads again - regardless of temps (tow it to a heated workshop or service center). You obviously have a braking issue which is only exacerbated by the current cold temps.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Steve Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by J60SON
Not in this weather, only if the temperature outside warms up?
I would tend to agree that there may be moisture somewhere that is frezzing with the climate. I would have thought that if moisture got into the brake fluid it would tend to give a sponge effect on the brake pedal which it doesn't.
I will try a full flush when we get a spell over frezzing point.
Thank you for your advice
Brakes have a "sponge effect" when 1) air is trapped in the system or 2) moisture in the fluid is actually boiling due to heavy use like at a track.
If you have moisture in the fluid and its freezing in the ABS unit, calipers or lines, it gives the brake pedal a very wooden feel. Or you could have a faulty booster diaphragm.
You must stop using the car or flush the system immediately - driving with 10% braking capacity is totally irresponsible ......
__________________
2001 Boxster S (triple black). Sleeping easier with LN Engineering/Flat 6 IMS upgrade, low temp thermostat & underspeed pulley.
2001 MV Agusta F4.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 12-21-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page