986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Very little brake (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/27227-very-little-brake.html)

J60SON 12-21-2010 04:39 AM

Very little brake

Its -10 degrees here in the UK and my Boxster brakes are not working?
The brake pedal is very hard under foot and the brakes are only 10% working which is obviously a concern.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Burg Boxster 12-21-2010 05:02 AM

when was the last time the fluid was flushed? It should be done every 2 years - more often if vehicle is tracked...

J60SON 12-21-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
when was the last time the fluid was flushed? It should be done every 2 years - more often if vehicle is tracked...

The fluid was changed about 14 months ago?
This problem only occures at below freezing point?

Stroked & Blown 12-21-2010 06:03 AM

Does the breaking performance improve as you drive a bit?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like there is moisture in the brake fluid that is freezing. A fluid flush should fix this.

J60SON 12-21-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
Does the breaking performance improve as you drive a bit?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like there is moisture in the brake fluid that is freezing. A fluid flush should fix this.

Not in this weather, only if the temperature outside warms up?
I would tend to agree that there may be moisture somewhere that is frezzing with the climate. I would have thought that if moisture got into the brake fluid it would tend to give a sponge effect on the brake pedal which it doesn't.
I will try a full flush when we get a spell over frezzing point.
Thank you for your advice

Burg Boxster 12-21-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J60SON

YIKES :eek:

Not only for your safety but more importantly for the other innocent drivers/pedestrians out there, get the fluid flush done ASAP before you drive the car on public roads again - regardless of temps (tow it to a heated workshop or service center). You obviously have a braking issue which is only exacerbated by the current cold temps.

Steve Tinker 12-21-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J60SON
Not in this weather, only if the temperature outside warms up?
I would tend to agree that there may be moisture somewhere that is frezzing with the climate. I would have thought that if moisture got into the brake fluid it would tend to give a sponge effect on the brake pedal which it doesn't.
Thank you for your advice

Brakes have a "sponge effect" when 1) air is trapped in the system or 2) moisture in the fluid is actually boiling due to heavy use like at a track.
If you have moisture in the fluid and its freezing in the ABS unit, calipers or lines, it gives the brake pedal a very wooden feel. Or you could have a faulty booster diaphragm.
You must stop using the car or flush the system immediately - driving with 10% braking capacity is totally irresponsible ......