Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
I also am having the same problem with my 2001 non-s. I hear a lot about the 987 upgrade. I am not sure if it is right for me. I do not track my car but I do have more of an "aggressive" driving style. There are a lot of threads on this subject but no real definitive answer that I can find. Can someone tell me if the 987 upgrade is better than an OEM replacement or is it not as clear cut as that?

I think the 987 part is the only one you can get now from Porsche, i.e. it is OEM. I know when I asked my stealer that was the part number he came up with.

Last edited by clickman; 01-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #22

Clickman is correct

ALL the Boxster mount numbers supercede to the 987 number.

Quote:
My .02 I replaced my mount 15k ago with the 987 and am in need of another mount. I'm going with Pedro's race mount and try that. I do drive hard, lots of DE's so in my opinion the stock 987 doesn't cut it for me.

What tranny mounts do you have and where those checked to be good?

How is your blip throttle downshift?

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #23

I have the 3000rpm vibration and still have after replacing cracked mount with new 987 part one..

My gearstick also shoots forward/back a toc
uch on putting on/off gas ?
bilabonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #24

The 3000 rpm vibration thing is kind of a myth. It has more to do with engine balancing than motor mounts. The real test is as follows:

put the car in second and drive @ 3000 rpms, constant speed.

Lift off and Blip the throttle.

Do you feel and hear a read end clunk? Not a click, tap, or noise. A Clear and OBVIOUS clunk feeling, and THUNK noise. IF you do, then your motor mount is toast, like mine!

I am also fairly certain this is the cause of terrible wheel hop. Once I replace mine, I'll update you.

As for the shifter moving back and forth upon engagement, a little bit of play is absolutely normal. Remember your drivetrain is connected to the body via rubber mounts, you're always going to feel play in anything that isnt absolutely fixed to the body. That's the point! Unless your shifter is moving so much you are stuggling to grab it (lol) I wouldn't worry.
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #25

I'd sure like to know if you are right about the mount being the cause of the wheel hop. The one and only time I ever tried to rocket off the line, the wheel hop has so bad that it was more like a rodeo ride on a bad-tempered bull.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #26

Replaced my front mount this afternoon.

Fixed the problem just like I thought it would. When I get on the gas, I no longer have a CLUNK. Furthermore, there is actually now less 'windup' as well (windup can be described as the elastic band feeling/noise when you make a bad shift).

OH and by the way, I can now officially spin my tires without any wheel hop :O

Winner

mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote