Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Attn DJOMLAS (or anyone, really) - Exhaust Bypass Valve

So if anyone has an answer to this question, feel free to speak up, but I vaguely recall seeing an earlier post by DJOMLAS about using a bypass valve on his Pedro Exhaust mod. Thus making the mod selectable, which seems pretty cool to me.

So my question is - Where can I find a valve like this? I did a quick google search and only came up with expensive valves used in Ferraris. Ouch! It seems like it should be a pretty simple device, operated manually, and should not be more than 30-40 bucks.

I remembered DJOMLAS because of the uniquely colored car.

KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Flea bay, universal source for all cheap parts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QTP-Dual-2-5-Electric-Exhaust-Valve-SS-Cutouts-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2c57f4a2QQitemZ40017 5920290QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
Flea bay, universal source for all cheap parts:

Sam
$400 is a bit more than what I would consider to be "cheap".

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but it seems like such a simple device. Why should it be so expensive?

Kelly
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

I'm sure you could make one for less if your in the know. I also believe there are manual cable operated units out there that would be cheaper too.

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #5

I would think so, too - but I can't seem to find anything.

Kelly
Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #6

Just curious why you'd want to add the modification? I have a "Pedro Type" exhaust, with Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, that gives my car an aggressive sound; I wouldn't want to turn it down.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
JTP

There's a company called QT (Quick Time?) that makes a cutout valve but it's big and bulky and the actuation is slow. I toyed with the idea of taking an exhaust valve setup from a C6 Corvette muffler but it just isn't worth the effort. If you want selectability just get the genuine PSE. A used one goes up for sale once in a while. Otherwise Suncoast lists it for over $2,000.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Just curious why you'd want to add the modification? I have a "Pedro Type" exhaust, with Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, that gives my car an aggressive sound; I wouldn't want to turn it down.
I guess I'm being a chicken a little bit. Just worried that it will be either not the right noise, or more loudness than I really want.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #9

IIRC Pedro himself

used the sort of expandable plugs you find used in the transom of a boat to seal drain holes on his to plug his bypass tubes when he wanted to drive quietly. His forum is up, why not ask him. www.pedrosborad.com

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote