Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

HVAC lighting slowly flickers at idle

What would cause this? A bad alternator or bad battery? After driving it for lets say an hour , you really do not notice it, just at start up. If I have to replace the battery I want to put in an optima, which optima fits the best?

Last edited by livin_in_a_boxster; 11-12-2010 at 10:35 AM.
livin_in_a_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #2

bump! anyone?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

i will take a stab. if it was my car i would hook up my 4 channel lab scope and monitor the batt,alt and ballast supply voltage and i would look for spikes while running . i would mainly look at alt and if pushed for a guess.....voltage regulator....if they are like the old bosch they are held on to the rear of the alt by 2 screws. like any electrical problem start at the source..the batt...is it old,low on water,connections tight etc ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
i will take a stab. if it was my car i would hook up my 4 channel lab scope and monitor the batt,alt and ballast supply voltage and i would look for spikes while running . i would mainly look at alt and if pushed for a guess.....voltage regulator....if they are like the old bosch they are held on to the rear of the alt by 2 screws. like any electrical problem start at the source..the batt...is it old,low on water,connections tight etc ?
Thanks for the response. The battery has been drained several times. There is water in it though and all the connections are clean and tight. But I am guessing it might not be holding a charge like it should and causeing a strain on the system, what should the battery test at voltage wise when the car is off?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

depends on age,type. a brand new super duty batt might show 12.80
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #6

I believe I used a yellow Optima 49R in my 986/
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin_in_a_boxster
Thanks for the response. The battery has been drained several times. There is water in it though and all the connections are clean and tight. But I am guessing it might not be holding a charge like it should and causeing a strain on the system, what should the battery test at voltage wise when the car is off?
I just went through this exact same scenario; to make a long story short, it was the alternator. And replacing it is a relatively simple task that takes about 2 hours if you're not the best mechanic (i.e. me).

Best,

Jon
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
I just went through this exact same scenario; to make a long story short, it was the alternator. And replacing it is a relatively simple task that takes about 2 hours if you're not the best mechanic (i.e. me).

Best,

Jon
Thanks for the reply. So that seems like a difinate diagnoses, you get to the alternator behind the seats right?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I'm having the same issue, but with all of my lighting, both interior and exterior, and I believe it's the alternator, as well.

Yes, the alternator's accessed from behind the seats. Here's a DIY from the forum which someone wrote up. May help you out and be a handy reference.

How to Change your Alternator

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote