Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
wtf

Exclamation 1999 Boxster Exhaust onto a 2001 Boxster S?

Hey guys,

I just bought myself a 2001 Boxster S last week, and its too quiet. After some hunting I was put onto a Fabspeed exhaust (Im in Australia, there arent so many porsche exhaust places here and the fact there is an aftermarket kit anywhere is somewhat of a miracle). I immediately jumped on the exhaust but now I have a concern.

I believe the car it came from was a 1999 Auto, and mine is a 2001 Manual 6 Spd, So I checked up on the fabspeed site, and they list a different kit for the old versus new.

Now im not sure what the differences between them are, but I assume the cat setup is probably different. I am now concerned that the exhaust may not be compatible, and was hoping someone could give me some info on whether I can make it fit, or whether i'm best trying to back out of the purchase (no money has changed hands yet, but considering its a pretty rare thing to happen to run into, it would suck to not be able to make use of this item).

Is there any way of making just the mufflers fit up without causing dramas? Is there any difference between manual and tiptronic exhaust routing? Is there any difference between the Fabspeed 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2 (S) exhausts?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, as I need to make the decision tomorrow. If anyone has any info or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Mark

wtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
As it is, no- the 99 muffler mounts differently from the top than for the 2000-2004 Boxsters. The only difference is that your car has a muffler that has two threaded studs that point straight up that fits into a mounting bar with two vibration damping cylinders. The pre-2000 mufflers have two threaded bolts that point straight back towards the front of your car, and mounts directly into a tranny mount.

You can, however, fabricate a mount to make it work with your car. Perhaps a local muffler shop can do this for you. Or, maybe you can adapt it to your current muffler mount to make it fit.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 08-16-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
As it is, no- the 99 muffler mounts differently from the top than for the 2000-2004 Boxsters. The only difference is that your car has a muffler that has two threaded studs that point straight up that fits into a mounting bar with two vibration damping cylinders. The pre-2000 mufflers have two threaded bolts that point straight back towards the front of your car, and mounts directly into a tranny mount.

You can, however, fabricate a mount to make it work with your car. Perhaps a local muffler shop can do this for you.

Thankyou very much for your reply!

So is it mainly a matter of the mounts, or would some of the pipe routing etc differ? As I was investigating, I seem to be lead to believe the cat setups arent the same either.

The shop that pulled the exhaust off the previous owners car mentioned it included Cat's but as far as I am aware my 2001 'S' has cats build into the headers and another set of secondary cats? Hoping these mufflers can be somehow grafted on and get someone to make up secondary cat bypasses..

Considering the exhaust is probably going to cost in the vicinity of $1600, I really wish it was merely a bolt on affair, there arent so many places I know of that would be able to make a custom exhaust (or anyone thats done one before locally), so even though its not the cheapest option, it seems like probably a better one than getting a local shop to experiment and result in a bad sounding/bad fitting mess.

Mark
Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Fabspeed made several different versions of mufflers for the Boxster, and the early offerings were actually rebranded Dansk sausage type mufflers, so without seeing a pic of your Fabspeed muffler, I can't be certain with my responses. I was speaking before assuming you had an early style Fabspeed cat back exhaust made for a 99.

The car you have does have 2 sets of cats (one set at the headers and one set right before the muffler), but the factory 99 muffler has the same connecting points as the 2000+ models except the top mounting point. Post a pic of your Fabspeed muffler, and we can be of more help.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Fabspeed made several different versions of mufflers for the Boxster, and the early offerings were actually rebranded Dansk sausage type mufflers, so without seeing a pic of your Fabspeed muffler, I can't be certain with my responses. I was speaking before assuming you had an early style Fabspeed cat back exhaust made for a 99.

The car you have does have 2 sets of cats (one set at the headers and one set right before the muffler), but the factory 99 muffler has the same connecting points as the 2000+ models except the top mounting point. Post a pic of your Fabspeed muffler, and we can be of more help.

Weirdly enough I checked under my car today and it does not have front cats. Just has two at the rear of the vehicle. Perhaps this is an Australian delivery thing? I couldnt see very well under the car as my boxster is lowered, but I didnt see very many sensors etc, besides one before the rear cat (I didnt see anything after it, so maybe CEL wont light up if i de-cat the car?).

Still trying to get the pics of the Fabspeed exhaust to post up.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #6

Not too quiet anymore

Have you checked out this thread in the DIY section of the forum?
"DIY Exhaust Mod – Gain of 10+ HP!!!"
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19770

A very easy and cheap way to get some more sportiness into your exhaust note. I did my 2000S last week and sounds a lot more like a sports car now.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Have you checked out this thread in the DIY section of the forum?
"DIY Exhaust Mod – Gain of 10+ HP!!!"
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19770

A very easy and cheap way to get some more sportiness into your exhaust note. I did my 2000S last week and sounds a lot more like a sports car now.

haha thats a nifty trick! might try that as a temporary measure if this exhaust takes a long time to get fitted :P