Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #1

My car thinks drivers side door is open/window problem

So I come back from vacation last week and decide to take the 986 for a cruise and notice that the drivers side window is not all the way up. It's opened the 1/4" or so that it normally does when you pull on one of the door handles to open the door. I disconnected the battery for a while, reconnected it, lowered the window all the way down, took it all the way back up and it immediately drops down the 1/4" like it does to clear the top when opening or closing the door. When driving I can't lock the doors and both door lights stay on. Clearly the computer thinks a door is open. I'm guessing it's a micro switch somewhere near the door latch. Or maybe a micro switch on one of the door handles. Has anyone had this problem? Where should I start troubleshooting?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #2

you may want to start here before taking the door panel off

http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?19,1565400,1565407

this tests the micro switch in the door mechanism by the latch
search using "window"you'll get tons of thread with door/window discussion

good luck
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #3

Will your Remote lock the driver side door?

If not and your Key will. I would guess the door lock mechanism is un-plugged inside the door. I also had red light on the dash and the horn beeped once if I used the remote.
KeithB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
you may want to start here before taking the door panel off

http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?19,1565400,1565407

this tests the micro switch in the door mechanism by the latch
search using "window"you'll get tons of thread with door/window discussion

good luck
Thanks, that link helps a lot. I'm going to have to replace the regulator on the passenger side. I figure I'll order everything I need at once. My car has over 100k and little repair stuff like this is starting to pop up.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB1
If not and your Key will. I would guess the door lock mechanism is un-plugged inside the door. I also had red light on the dash and the horn beeped once if I used the remote.
Keith, if I try to lock the door using either the key fob or the dash button it won't lock. Something is telling the locking controller (unless it's bad) that the door isn't closed or one of the door handle micro switches is telling it that the handle is being pulled. I have a feeling I'm going to have to pull off the door cover and do some closer visual inspection...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_Ron
Keith, if I try to lock the door using either the key fob or the dash button it won't lock. Something is telling the locking controller (unless it's bad) that the door isn't closed or one of the door handle micro switches is telling it that the handle is being pulled. I have a feeling I'm going to have to pull off the door cover and do some closer visual inspection...
I just did a little experiment.
while keeping the door tight against the car frame, I pulled the outer door handle and pressed the lock button on the key. it energized the motor in the door and the alarm indicator LED came on.

with the door open, I pressed the lock button on the key, the door motor energized, the car beeped but did not arm the alarm.

does your car beep, the alarm LED flash or the door lock led flash?

from my previous door mechanism activity, if the harness is not connected, no light when the door is opened but the latch works like a normal door

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote