Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Matt Fredrikson
Ball joint worn out? pics

Ok guys I've had this on going creaking and groaning from the back of the car so I finally got around to crawling around in there and getting a good look at things.

In the first picture you will see that the ball joint on the the controll arm is at a pretty good slant. Tire is off one corner of the car jacked up. In the second the upper arm is shown with a bit of a slant also. I can twist the ball joint mabye 3/8" with a pry bar, basically held up by the track arm bushing. The upper arm moves about an 1/8" by hand. Thoughts on where to go with this before I start buying parts? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Matt Fredrikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #2

Ok so I got impatient and pulled the trailing arm bolt out of the center of the control arm and I can twist it back and forth VERY easy, like left handed till the upper joint binds in its bracket. How much play should be in that joint? Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #3

A ball joint is suppose to rotate and be able to move as you described. Does the ball feel loose, can you move it up & down. I would not expect a groan from one. More metal to metal as the ball joint is sealed in grease. A groan noise to me would be more like rubber parts getting hard from age.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

no it dosn't feel loose at all, I expected it to move about the amount I described and it dosn't move up and down so I think its fine. I think my best best at this point is change out the other 2 bushings on the controll arm with the PowerFlex kit sitting in my tool box and seem what I got from there.

My manual says I have to torque the arm to body bolt on the ground with suspension loaded. Gonna be tricky to reach it, but I'll get on it in the next few days I geuss. Thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #5

Garage
I don't know what a Powerflex kit is but if it has non-rubber bushing expect the real groaning to begin.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #6

One forum member replaced his bushing and added a grease fitting and greased the sucker. Fixed his problem.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #7

Ok one other thing, is the closest arm in the top picture what is replace by the Tarret arms? I am lowering as soon as I figure this all out but if thats the arm I replace I'm not going to buy a urathane bushing for that connection since the new arm should have a new bushing on it no?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

I have been having the same creaking noise but it's coming from the bolt immediately to the right of the lower ball joint.

I apologize for hijacking this thread but is that a replaceable bushing?

Thanks for the help.

2002 Boxster S
1993 Range Rover County LWB 259k miles
1995 Infiniti J30 - 24 Hours of LeMons
ray96disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Fredrikson
Ok one other thing, is the closest arm in the top picture what is replace by the Tarret arms? I am lowering as soon as I figure this all out but if thats the arm I replace I'm not going to buy a urathane bushing for that connection since the new arm should have a new bushing on it no?
Yep, thats the toe arm (trailing arm). It is replaced by the Tarrett adjustable toe arms.