Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Help requested re; security alarm

Good afternoon,

Probably an easy question for the vets here, but I'm a new member, having recently purchased a 99 Boxster. I've had the car for about a month, and have enjoyed visiting this forum frequently for questions that have arisen. (This is my second Porsche, my first being an '88 944S that I sold when I got engaged.... but that's another post). This forum has been a wonderful resource for me.

I have tried to perform a search to answer my question, but without much success, and so I thought I'd try a more direct approach. If I've posted in the incorrect forum, please accept my apologies and direct me to move the post.

When I received the car, I was given 2 keys, both the same, no remote. The car would appear to have a security system present as I can see the sensors/infra red for cabin monitoring, but I cannot get the alarm to go off. When I lock the doors with the key, no audible sound to indicate alarm has been engaged (both with top up and top down).

Last night, I pulled off the cover over the fuse area having read some related posts, and am now wondering if there had been a problem, and the previous owner just yanked the fuse???

And so, I am asking if anyone might have a moment to assist me in troubleshooting this on my own, or do I need to visit someone with the diagnostic equipment. Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Scott
(SjhC)

SjhC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #2

My 2000 came with three keys, two of which are remotes, the third is a valet key. My car makes no sound when the alarm is activated and everything's secure. If a door, hood or console is left open you will hear a chirp.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Not sure if you have the manual, but you may want to have a look in there if you do. I believe it mentions that it is possible for a Porsche dealer to modify the security system and its functions to your preferences. Could be the previous owner had them modify it. Another possibility is that the car didn't come with a remote key, which wouldn't prevent it from having an operating alarm system, it would just be controlled by you manually locking and unlocking the car.

When you lock the car, does the red light on the upper center of the dash flash a few times every few seconds?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #4

Thanks both, but still seeking advise...

Thanks very much Keith, but I'm less concerned about the lack of a remote than the alarm not engaging. When I manually lock the doors, no sound, and I can reach inside the car, both with the hood up and the hood down and open the doors. I am unable to trigger the alarm in any way.

Thank you Overdrive, I did read somewhere about the ability to customize alarm settings at the dealer, but I can't even trigger the alarm. The red light on the upper centre of the dash does not blink at all. I presume this means that the alarm is not engaged?

Does anyone here know if removal of the fuse will disengage the alarm? When I had the fuse cover off, it looks to my untrained eye like a fuse is missing in the third row cluster of fuses. I can take a pic and post it if it would help anyone. Again, my concern is that I seem unable to arm the alarm at all.

Thanks for your continued thoughts.

Scott
(SjhC)
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

so how far does it go?

- you lock the door and the doors (lids, etc) latch
- the lights flash twice ( indicating the car is locked )
- no horn sound ( the horn doesn't sound when the alarm activates unless something is "open" )

fyi - if you have the top down and lock the car without a red clip, the sensors are deactivated so you will be able to reach into the car, etc. without tripping the alarm.

also the manual indicates that if there is a problem with the alarm system, the horn will beep twice...

found the fuse layout for the 99...

Last edited by tonycarreon; 07-16-2010 at 07:08 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #6

Thanks Tony, I'll review the fuse chart....

in answer to your questions,
- i lock the door and the doors do latch
- the lights do not flash at all
- i had read here about the fyi re; top down and have actually received my red clip in the mail from the internet.

any other thoughts???

Continued thanks to all those reading this thread...
Scott